Choosing Sides

We are sitting in the lounge across from the kitchen having a meeting about the Accords. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have," Rhodey tells Sam. "So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" says Sam. "117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it." says Rhodey.

Great, just what we need, another fight other than the one about to happen over who agrees and disagrees with the Accords, I think to myself. Wanda reads my mind and says in our minds, "Hads, everything is gonna be okay." I nod and listen to Sam and Rhodey continue fighting.

"How long are you gonna play both sides?" asks Sam. "I have an equation," says Vision. "Oh, this will clear it up," says Sam. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate," says Vision. "Are you saying it's our fault?" asks Steve looking up from the Sokovia Accords book. "I'm saying that there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." says Vision. "Boom," says Rhodey looking at Sam. "Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal," says Nat. "It's because he's already made up his mind," says Steve. "Boy, you know me so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" says Tony. He puts a screen in a bowl behind some fruit, and the screen shows a picture of a teenage African American boy.

Tony says, "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia."

My heart drops as I listen, and Stark saying Sokovia makes tears come to my eyes because I realize why Stark is bringing this up. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys." says Tony. "Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," says Steve. "Who said we're giving up?" asks Tony. "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame," says Steve. "I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not Shield, it's not Hydra." says Rhodey. "No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change," says Steve. "That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down and stopped manufacturing," says Tony. "For the record, you realized that after what your weapons did. Not before. Look at what Wanda and I's life has become because of said weapons," I say. It sounds like I'm leaning towards Tony's side, but really, I have no idea what side I'm gonna pick. I always remind him of what his weapons did. I might be on a team with him but it doesn't mean that I'm going to forgive him.

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us. We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own," says Steve. "If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty," says Tony. "You're saying they'll come for me," says Wanda. "Wanda, I won't let anyone come for you," I say. "We would protect you," says Vision. "Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..." says Nat. "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" asks Sam. I laugh as I remember watching that court meeting on TV. "I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back," says Nat.

Oh, great, my parents are on opposite sides of this. How on Earth am I gonna figure this out, I think to myself. "Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you, or did you agree with me?" says Tony. "I want to take it back now." says Nat. "No, you can't retract it. Thank you. Okay. Case closed. I win." says Tony. "There's no win or lose. This is a battle of opinion," I say. "That's my girl," says Nat. I smile.

Steve gets a text on his phone, and he says, "I have to go." and he gets up from his chair and goes downstairs.

After Steve leaves, the meeting adjourns, but Wanda, Nat, and I stay where we are. "So, what are you two's thoughts? Hadley, you were more vocal than I've ever seen you in a team meeting," says Nat. "I agree with Dad's side. I love the Avengers, but I want to keep the freedom to go where we feel we need to go. But for now, I am TBD until I think it over a little more," says Wanda. "Okay, I understand that. Hads?" says Nat.

"I am completely torn. On the one hand, I agree that I want freedom and to go where we think we need to. But on the other hand, I will do whatever it takes to keep the Avengers together, even if it means signing the Accords. And on top of that, my family is divided. Dad and technically Wanda on the disagreeing side and you on the agreeing side." I say. "Well, you have some good points on both sides. Only you can make the decision. Oh, and maybe some of the things you said in the team meeting will help you decide. You made some great points. But, I will be more than happy to help you make a pro and cons list or something," says Nat. "Same here!" says Wanda. "Thanks, Mom! Thanks, Wands!" "Anytime, Hads!" they say at the same time.

After a little while of thinking of the pros and cons, I have decided that I am gonna sign the Accords to try to keep the Avengers together, although I don't fully agree with them. After having a deeper discussion with Nat and Wanda, I learn that Nat is signing them for the same reasons I am.

Steve comes back up, and by the look on his face, the text wasn't a good one. "Peggy's gone. It happened in her sleep," says Steve. I know that Dad loves Mom, and I also know how much Peggy means to him. I get up and hug him real tight, and I say, "I'm really sorry, Daddy." "Thank you, sweetheart," he says. Wanda hugs him too. "The funeral is in two days in London," says Steve. "If you want, I can go for moral support, Daddy," I say. "Thanks, Hads. But you don't need to," says Steve. "Ok. Just let me know if you change your mind or anything." I say, and I hold Wanda's hand, and we walk out to give our parents some time to talk alone.