Testing and Confrontation

"Okay, okay, I got it! What I need is a 10,000-pound fallout shelter comprised of lead for photons, cadmium for neutrons, and tantalum for seismic blasts on wheels. And then, I would be able to safely re-enter Westview. Right?" says Monica. "Yes. Theoretically," says Darcy. "I can work with theoretically," says Monica. "What'd I miss?" asks Jimmy. "The twins aged up to ten," says Darcy. "Holy Christmas. At this rate, they'll be empty nesters by dinner time," says Jimmy. "They also got a dog, and they named him Sparky," I add. 

"I know an aerospace engineer who'd be up for this challenge," says Monica. "But I can't guarantee the Hex won't just mind-wipe you as you go in," says Darcy. "Wait. What's a Hex?" asks Monica looking from her phone, which she was using to text the aerospace engineer. 

"Oh, um, it's what I'm calling the anomaly because of its hexagonal shape. It's starting to catch on. You really wanna go back in there? After everything she's put you through?" says Darcy. "Yeah. Yes, I do," says Monica. "Have you identified these minors yet? Or the newborns?" asks Jimmy. "Oh, Wanda's twins are hers. Everything might look fake on the TV, but everything in there is real," says Monica. "But Wanda manipulates people's perceptions, makes them hallucinate," says Jimmy. "Yeah, that's her whole bag. If all the sets, props, and wardrobe were solid matter, that would mean she's wielding an insane amount of power," says Darcy. "Far exceeding anything she's displayed in the past," says Jimmy. 

"She hasn't needed to use her full power in the past, and neither have I," I say. "Uh, she and Hadley could have taken out Thanos on their own if he hadn't initiated a blitz. I mean, nobody else came close," says Monica. "Well, I'd argue that Captain Marvel came close," says Jimmy. 

I see Monica tense, and I remember that her mom was best friends with Carol. I place my hand on her shoulder, and Darcy asks, "Her powers came from an Infinity Stone, too, right?" "We are not talking about her. We are talking about Wanda. Darcy? What was that you were saying about props and sets and..." says Monica, now holding a picture from the wall. "Wardrobe?" adds Darcy. "Where's the lab?" asks Monica. 

We walk to the lab, and we find Monica's outfit that she was wearing when she was on the show and got blasted out of the Hex. "What are we looking for?" asks Jimmy. "That," says Monica, and she walks up to her outfit. "Oh, man, are we being mind-controlled to see that right now?" asks Darcy. "Jeepers creepers," says Jimmy. "Ooh, no. They're real, all right. Can I borrow this?" says Monica, and she takes Jimmy's gun out of his holster. "Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa," says Jimmy while Darcy covers her ears. 

I don't flinch when Monica shoots the outfit since I am used to watching Nat train. The bullets make no holes. "Whoa!" says Darcy as she uncovers her ears. Jimmy walks over to the fallen bullets, and he picks them up, and they are flat. "You had a bulletproof vest on when you went inside, didn't you?" asks Jimmy. "Those pants are 87% Kevlar. It's not an illusion. Wanda is rewriting reality," says Monica. "Permanently?" asks Darcy. "If she can change things as they go into the Hex..." says Monica. "Ah, you called it the Hex," says Darcy. "What happens if we send something in that requires no change?" says Monica.

We decide to send in a drone from the 80s. Monica is flying it. "We can't see the drone on the broadcast. Wanda's framing it out of the shot," says Jimmy. "Just like all of the jump cuts. Wanda decides what makes it onto her show and what doesn't," says Darcy. "And here we go. You're up," says Hayward. 

"Wanda, this is Captain Monica Rambeau. Can you hear me? I just want to talk. That's it," says Monica. Wanda's eyes glow red. "No joy," says Hayward. "Uh... Wait, my controls aren't working. Reconnect patch," says Monica. "Disregard. Take the shot," says Hayward. "What no. The drone isn't armed," says Monica. "Take the shot," says Hayward. Then the TV show and the drone cameras cut to black. "What did you do?" asks Monica, mad. 

The alarm starts sounding, and we run outside to the edge of the Hex. We see something or someone trying to get through to us. Hayward has his team with their guns pointing to the Hex. 

Then Wanda walks out of the Hex in an outfit that looks like her battle suit. She is dragging the drone behind her. "Is this yours?" asks Wanda, and she throws the drone at Hayward's feet. The drone is glowing a flickering red from Wanda's powers. She stands in the middle of Hayward's armed soldiers, who have their guns with green lasers aimed at Wanda's chest and neck. 

"The missile was just a precaution. You can hardly blame us, Wanda," says Hayward. "Oh, I think I can. This will be your only warning. Stay out of my home. You don't bother me. I won't bother you," says Wanda. "I wish it could be that simple. You've taken an entire town hostage," says Hayward. "Well, I'm not the one with the guns, Director," says Wanda. "But you are the one in control," says Monica. "You're still here," says Wanda, and her powers form in her hands. "Wanda, I didn't know the drones were armed. But you know that, don't you? A town full of civilians. And you, a telepath, brought a SWORD Agent into your home. You trusted me to help deliver your babies. On some level, Wanda, you know I am an ally. I wanna help you," says Monica walking towards Wanda. She stops a few feet away from Wanda. "How? What could you possibly have to offer me?" says Wanda. "What do you want?" asks Monica. "I have what I want, and no one will ever take it from me again," says Wanda. 

I walk forward, and I am standing just a little ahead of Monica and Wanda's face changes, and she puts away her powers when she sees me, and she says, "Hadley?" I nod and smile. "Wanda, I'm happy for you. I really am. If there's anything I can do for you, just let me know. I am always here for you, no matter what. I've missed you." I say. Wanda comes up to me and hugs me, which surprises me. "Congrats, by the way!" I say. 

Wanda smiles, and she talks to me in my mind, and she says, "Meet me on the other side of Westview tomorrow morning. I want you to meet the twins." "I will. I'll teleport there. They will probably see me on the TV," I say in our minds. "True. You could also teleport into Westview. I'll modify the barrier so you can," says Wanda. 

I nod, and she smiles, and then her face goes back to being cold as her powers form again, and Wanda uses her powers to mind control Hayward's soldiers, and she flicks her wrist, and the guns all point to Hayward, and I smile. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Stand down!" says Hayward. "Wanda!" says Monica. 

Then she uses her powers, and she puts her hands on the Hex and modifies it making it stronger and making it so I can teleport into it unharmed. Then Hayward's soldiers lower their guns, and we watch as Wanda walks into the Hex and disappears.