Chapter 42

Losing Momentum

Min walked towards the swing set with her legs trembling like noodles as she saw Jimin sitting in the same swing he sat in the last time with his head buried into his arms. Her heart raced as she bit her lips, quietly approaching him and slowly sitting down on the swing beside him.
She looked at him, noticing how different he looked despite them not talking for only one week. His hair was tousled and messy, his jaw and chin were stubbled as he threw on a black hoodie and black sweatpants. He looks like a mess...

"I didn't think you'd come,"

Jimin muttered as he looked up from his hands and turned to face Min. Min felt her nose sting and her heart ache as she saw his eyebags and his unkempt hair and face.

"I'm not that heartless,"

Min mumbled as she turned her head away and broke their eye contact. 

"She went for the second surgery in the morning and I went to see her after the surgery. Just as I grabbed her hand, her eyes fluttered shut. She's gone, Min,"

Jimin cried with a shaky and strained voice as tears gushed out of his eyes as if he kept an entire ocean in himself and finally let it out. Min bit her lip, suppressing her tears as she felt her nose sting and the lump in her throat grow bigger and bigger.
Without saying a word, she put her arm around Jimin and pulled him close. Burying his face into her shoulder, he sobbed endlessly, refusing to understand that the only person he loved in his entire life was finally gone.
Hours passed and Jimin and Min just stared at whatever was before them, dazed as the silence filled their entire night. Jimin sniffed as he looked into the sky at the stars, thinking of each of them as his mother.

"I know you think of me as a jerk. I understand why you would think so but you truly mean everything to me, Min,"

Jimin said softly as he turned to look at Min with red and puffy eyes. However, Min continued to face front and look at whatever was before her aimlessly. Despite his mother's passing, it did not excuse him or allow him to take advantage of her. She could comfort him but that was it, that was where she drew the line.

"I only came here because I know how much she meant to you. I came here because I'm humane. If you're done with your grief and you're going to make excuses for yourself for me to talk to you again, I'll leave,"

Min said with a firm and stern voice without sparing him a single glance.

"You're right. You should leave now..."

Immediately, Min stood up with her eyes filled with tears and her head hung low.

"I will leave now. And from today onwards, we won't talk. Goodbye, Jimin,"