Chapter 4 Dante -Revenge

What the fuck was she doing in there?

I stalk down the hallways feeling a mix of indignation and concern as I know that if I hadn't come into Sonia's room when I did, she might've jumped.

Luckily, I have this entire mansion hooked up to a security system, and I can see into virtually every room. So I watched her on my cameras, and when I saw her go outside, look over the edge, and then put her leg on one side of the brick wall, straddling it, it made something fierce go off inside of my body, something that felt a lot like protectiveness. But it's crazy. I can't be protective over Sonia, my new charge. She's a hostage, nothing more. But one thing is sure. I need her alive. She's no good to me dead.

But still, I have to wonder what the hell is going on in her life that would make her think of jumping? It has to be more than being stolen by me because this is not a death warrant. She doesn't have any idea what I may or may not do to her. For all she knows, her father and his Gavino crew could rescue her tomorrow. So why then is she so fucked up?

Finally, I get to my office, which is located in the grand library. It's my favorite place to do business, and it's where I have my many cameras set up. It takes all of my self-control not to check in on Sonia.

I try to focus on business and do anything to pass the time other than staring at her through the camera but eventually, I realize that I will give in to the temptation.

It's her sleek black hair and her heart-shaped face that draws me in. She has perfect pouty lips and big, blue eyes, as well as a small, upturned nose. It's all a very toxic, torturous mix of beauty that pulls me in, almost forcing me to look.

I open my laptop and check the camera for her room. She's lying on the bed, curled up into a little ball, sobbing.

Fuck.

I don't want to break the girl. In fact, I've tried to make everything about her stay here nice. It's her father I take issue with.

I slam the computer shut and then go over the details in my head again.

I need to get Leonio to understand that you can't just fuck with people's families and get away with it.

Closing my eyes, I pinch the bridge of my nose and remember. Flashes of the scene shine bright in my mind even though I've tried to bury what happened.

My brother is lying in a pool of his own blood, shot by one of Leonio's men. It was a hit called by Leonio himself. Our family, the De Rose family, has become too powerful for him to handle, so he decided to take out our leader, the boss, my brother, and best friend.

Silvio De Rose.

I see him lying there in his blood, and I know there's nothing I can do to stop him from dying. It's the most painful memory of my life.

"Stay with me," I urge him. "Don't leave me alone on this godforsaken planet."

He grips my hand hard, but it's too painful for him to speak. All he can mutter is, "Goodbye, brother."

That's it.

My brother died, and his blood is on Leonio's hands. I will have my revenge. He took my family from me, so I took his family from him—his principessa.

I never asked for this, for any of it. It was never my goal to become head of this family, the De Rose mafia family. But here I am, left in charge because of what Leonio did.

Now Sonia's mine. I'll keep her here with me, close, for the foreseeable future until I've decided that Leonio has paid enough for the sins of the past, for taking my brother from me.

I walk around the extensive library, watching as the moon's light filters through the big bay windows. I know that this is a delicate mission. The Gavino family will want their daughter back. They'll do anything to have her in their clutches once again which makes this mission risky. But I know, too, that I must avenge my brother's death no matter what.

I know that staying here with me will be hard for Sonia, but she'll learn her place. She must. Otherwise, I'll have to break her to make her see that I'm in charge and that she's my ward. Forever.

As I pace around the office, it's hard to trust that all the pieces of my plan will fall into place. But they must. There's no other option.

Giving in to my curiosity, I open my laptop again and check the cameras in Sonia's room. She's sleeping peacefully now, having cried herself to sleep.

It's a good thing.

Maybe this little arrangement will work out after all. It has to. There's no other choice.