Chapter 22 Dante -Impenetrable

I wake up with Sonia in my arms.

She's so fucking beautiful; it's hard to believe that she's mine. How did I end up in this position? I don't deserve her. I don't deserve any of this.

My heart is black. I'm a man who has a record of doing evil shit. Hell, I'm the leader of the De Rose mafia family. That means I have a history of darkness on my soul. I've done things and seen things that I'm not proud of. But here I am with this beautiful woman entwined around my body. Her arms encircle my taut waist, holding me tight.

Fuck.

She's so pristine, even in sleep. All I can do is watch her.

Her parted lips breathe in small breaths, making me remember how good it felt to have those same luscious lips wrapped around my cock last night. She came so fast, so hard, proving to me that she wants what I have. She needs it.

We're an unlikely pair, and I certainly wasn't expecting to fall for a Gavino, but now that I've met Sonia, there's no other woman on this planet that I can think about. It's only her. She's mine.

I push back a piece of her black hair and study her gorgeous face. She has all the perfect features of a supermodel, but her body's way too curvy for that. Her breasts, her hips—they curve in all the right ways. Her stomach is tiny, so much so that I can wrap my hands around it, encircling it with both hands.

Sonia Gavino is the woman I'm supposed to hate. She's my archenemy. But here I am obsessing over her, wanting to fuck her again and again. What's happened to me?

She shifts, moving her hands across my stomach, and it causes a deep kind of lust to fire off in my system. At my core, I feel the tendrils of desire start to spread. I need her. Even though I fucked her hard last night, I still need more.

Shit.

What's weighing on me most is the feeling of relief I have in knowing that she's safely back in my bed, in my arms. I almost lost her to the cold, dark forest last night. It came too close. And even as I look down at her perfect fucking face right now, I vow never to let it come that close again. I will do a better job of protecting her from now on, even from herself.

She circles her arms tightly around my waist, and I feel an odd kind of warmth surge throughout my body. This is home. This is where I'm supposed to be, with her.

I push the feeling aside, not knowing what to do with it. It's uncomfortable to admit to myself that I might need another person.

So I do what I do best. I run.

Hating to break up this moment, to leave her in bed looking so fucking beautiful in all her naked glory, I relinquish my hold on her stunning body.

I have shit to do. It's a new day, and with it comes new problems.

Leonio will be looking for his daughter. His vengeance and desire for my blood will be strong. I took from him his prized possession, his most precious asset. He'll want her back. And so I need to prepare for that.

I wasn't expecting to fall for her, to feel for Sonia the way that I do. I wasn't expecting to feel so protective of her, to feel that she's mine. These are feelings that I don't know what to do with, that I can't shake.

Gently, to not wake her, I remove her arms from my waist and get out of bed. It's a new fucking day.

I head over to the master bathroom, where I get into the shower, washing off last night's lovemaking. It was intense. It was everything I've ever hoped for.

Sonia. Her black hair, tiny body, and big blue eyes are a recipe for disaster but one I can't seem to stay away from.

She surprises me as there are a lot of layers to her. She's sweet and innocent on one layer, not likely to hurt a fly, but underneath all that is a woman who's complex and daring enough to run away from me, a mafia boss. The idea of her complexity draws me in, like a moth to a flame. I want to get to know her more, to understand what makes her tick, what excites her.

Sonia's enrapturing me, taking over my soul as I think of her nearly nonstop throughout the day.

I wash off quickly and get dressed in my typical suit. Black slacks, white shirt, black suit jacket and tie. It's the same outfit every day—business calls.

Then I leave Sonia sleeping in bed while I walk downstairs to get some breakfast. Ludovica is there making a delicious spread.

"Good morning," I say to her.

"Good morning, boss," she says to me in Italian. "I'm making you and Miss Sonia breakfast."

I look around at everything she's preparing—fresh bread, brioche, cornetti, stuffed focaccia, an array of cheeses, and frittatas. It's all there. It's an Italian feast that could feed twenty.

"Sounds wonderful," I say. "Sonia is still sleeping. For now, I'm going to grab some coffee. Let me know when breakfast is ready."

She makes me a cappuccino, which I take into my office in the library. I need to get an early start on the day. Once I'm there, I see sitting on my desk the photos that Sonia saw. They're spread out exactly where I left them. I can understand why she would've been upset. The images did what they were intended to do. They make it look like we were together, like she came here for me.

I take a moment to look at them, to reread Leonio's note.

I know you have my principessa. I want her back. You have three days.

x Leonio Gavino

He wants his daughter back. I guess that was part of the plan all along. I finally have something that Leonio wants. I have a piece of his family in my clutches. I hope that he understands what it's like to lose somebody. I want him to know the pain and agony of missing someone close to you like I felt when I lost my brother. I want him to pay. The problem is that Sonia's in the middle now. I never could've anticipated this turn of events. She was supposed to be a casualty, someone I could care less about, not the center of my universe.

I sit down in my office chair, looking over the photos, thinking about Leonio and Sonia and what a complicated situation it is. It's so fucking unexpected. There's no easy way to go about this. Now I don't want to give her up. I never want her to be away from me.

Just as I'm deciding what to do, Romano comes in. "Boss, we have a problem."

I look up at him. "What is it?"

"We've been compromised," he says.

I stand up, looking him in the eyes for verification. "What the fuck are you talking about?" I ask.

"We've had a couple of drive-bys," he explains. "It's been the same black SUV, over and over. I think it's Gavino's men. He might have found out our location."

Fuck.

I thought this might happen, but not so soon. Of course, I'm prepared for this. But I had imagined that I'd have a little more time to be here with Sonia, to enjoy the pleasures of the mansion.

My fortress is hidden away deep in the country. It's impenetrable, but the thought of having Gavino or his men trying to steal Sonia away from me when I've only just admitted to myself how much I need her is too much.

I jump into action.

"Get the helicopter ready," I order.

It's time to get the hell out of here.