Chapter 14 Dante -Sweetness

Fucking Sonia smells so fucking sweet I can hardly believe it. But she is and always will be my prisoner. That's just the way it needs to be.

I brought her here to my estate for a reason. She's playing a pivotal role in showing the Gavino family that they can't mess with me. I need her to help me to demonstrate to her father that he messed with the wrong family when he killed my brother.

There's no going back from this. Not ever. I started a war, and I intend on finishing it.

Still, as I look at her, it's hard not to be sucked in. She's so beautiful. So dangerously gorgeous. She's everything that I'm not. I'm darkness. I'm evil. I'm sinfulness made manifest. And yet I have her, this beautiful woman at my side, my pure sweet angel.

And so I hold her in my arms, never wanting to let her go.

"Fuck, you smell amazing. Did you take a shower already?" I ask.

"Yes." She nods. "I did. I didn't want to wake you. I was hoping that I could walk around the grounds today and get a feel for the place."

Her words leave me feeling a little disconcerted. I don't like the idea of Sonia walking around anywhere without taking a couple of my guards for protection. She's not free. She's not allowed to live life as though she's not my prisoner.

"Why do you want to do that?" I ask.

"Because I'm starting to feel a little claustrophobic," she says, pulling away from me. "It's not that I want to get away from you or that I don't appreciate everything you've done for me. I mean, the clothes and dinner last night were amazing. But you have to understand that I haven't had an ounce of freedom since I got here. I want to feel the fresh air on my skin. I went to explore the grounds. I want to feel the cool wind on my face. These are all the things I need to survive, to feel like a normal human being. Please let me have that. I'm not going to escape. I'm not even going to try to. You have to trust me."

Trust.

Do I trust her? It's a big word. Sonia only just got here. And she may have cast a spell on me already but trust? That's a huge thing for me to consider.

If I lose her, I lose everything. If she runs away, all of this will have been for nothing.

I look into her eyes, though, and all I can see is her sweet, pure innocence. I see the woman that I'm starting to have feelings for, as crazy as that sounds.

"Please," she asks. "Let me have this."

Her incredible blue eyes center on me, and I know that I'll give her whatever she wants. Even if it means taking a risk and letting her go, I will let her have this to make her happy.

"Fine," I say. "You can go explore the grounds. But please let some of my guards go with you. It's not safe. Your father could be looking for you at this very moment. He'll send men out to try to infiltrate my property. I can't let that happen."

She shakes her head. "No. Dante, that's not what I want. I want to take a walk and not feel like your men are stalking me. I just want a little bit of freedom. Can you give me that?".

Fuck.

I want to give her that. I want to provide her with everything in the world. But she's asking for too much.

Still, when I look into her angel eyes, I know that I'll relent. Besides, I have enough men guarding the perimeter of the property that I know if something were to happen, if she were to escape, she wouldn't get far.

"You can go," I say finally.

"I can?" she asks excitedly.

I nod, not knowing whether this is a good idea or not. "Yes. But I expect you not to stay out all day. And please be fucking careful. I'm serious."

"I will. I promise."

She wraps her arms around my neck, and I inhale her flowery sweetness. Though none of this was in the plan, though I was not supposed to fall for Sonia, this still feels like the right path. Being with her feels like the most natural thing in the world.

I pull her towards me and kiss her luscious mouth. She kisses me back, and it's a kiss that draws me in. I want to be wherever she is. I want to be drawn into her pure sweet soul, imagining that it can make me unlike myself. Maybe she's so sweet and light that she can absorb all the darkness inside of me. Maybe she can make me more than I am, more than the man that I've been.