Chapter 34 Sonia -Forever

Dante calls Ludovica up to our room and asks her to bring me a fresh plate of dinner, which I eat hungrily in bed. She also makes me a Goombay Smash, which tastes fantastic, especially after my cry session. I needed sustenance.

Then, I lie back against the pillows and wait while Dante conducts some business. He does it right in front of me so as not to shut me out of his world.

"I need that shipment to go through tomorrow," he says over the phone. "It's very fucking important that those cars get there."

Cars? I had never considered that cars could be related to the mafia, but I guess they are.

I listen intently to his conversation, feeling happy that I'm finally being let into his world.

"If the shipment isn't there on time, it'll be your fucking balls, and I mean it. You know that I have men waiting to make sure that things go smoothly. Do I make myself clear?"

I wonder what the man on the other line is thinking. Dante is threatening his life. It's a side of him that I'm not sure I like. But this is what I wanted. I wanted to be exposed to his world, to know what goes on behind closed doors.

"Portalo lì per domattina. Dico sul serio, o questo sarà l'ultimo accordo che faremo," he says in Italian before hanging up.

Peering over at him, I can't help but ask, "What was that about? Tell me."

He sits on the bed, running his hands through his hair. "That, principessa, was about a deal I procured months ago to have some stolen cars delivered to our operation in London."

I cover my mouth in shock. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.

"Stolen cars?" I ask.

He looks over at me, taking in the lines of my body as he does so. "You wanted to see behind the curtain, princess. Well, here it is. It's the business that I'm in. It's unsavory, but it's what I do."

"Dante—I—don't know what to say." My words catch in my throat.

Dante's hands aren't clean. He's a mafia boss. But still, to witness some of what he does in real time is a different thing altogether.

"Let me guess," he says. "You'd rather go back to your sheltered existence?"

"Is it always cars?" I ask. "Or are there other things, like drugs?"

I'm not sure I even want to know the answer to this. But I have to find out how far Dante's criminal activities extend.

He sweeps a hand over my leg, looking at me hard, almost daring me to continue this conversation. "There are drugs sometimes, sometimes weapons. It just depends on who I'm dealing with and what they need. I told you, it's unsavory. I also have many businesses that operate legally. There are real estate investments and things like that. But the phone call you just witnessed? Moving product around the world? It's the bulk of what I do."

"Dante...I have no words."

He reaches over, pulling me close to him. The scent of his masculine aroma draws me in, almost making me forget that he's a modern-day villain. Almost. I hold him by the neck, aching for him to do things to my body—sinful, devious things. But in the back of my brain, I know I shouldn't want this. He's a criminal, a snake. He's the man people recoil from.

But this is the life I, too, have been born into. I'm Sonia Gavino, the mafia princess. While my family kept me protected from all the evil things they did to survive, I should've known that these types of things went on behind the scenes. I did know, in my heart. That's why I wanted to jump off my terrace. That's why I wanted to die. And now I'm here with the enemy, having sex with him, turning the other cheek.

He wraps his big hands around my body and, within an instant, snatches my dress away, throwing it on the floor. I lie, barely clothed in my lingerie, underneath him.

"Fuck, Sonia. What are you doing to me?" he growls.

His lips crash down on my own, and the feeling of it, of the weight of his body pressed against my own, makes me feel an odd kind of safety that I can't explain. I know Dante would never hurt me. Despite his criminal faults, I know he's here to protect me no matter what.

I scrape my hands through his hair and pull him towards me. "I want you," I whisper. "I need you now."

His hands find their way down my body as he removes what little amount of lingerie I'm wearing. Soon, I'm naked beneath him, and his eyes are feasting on me.

"Principessa." His voice is a low rumble. "You're mine...forever."