Chapter 7 Sonia -Vacation

I don't know who Dante thinks he is. Whether this is some weird mind game, or if he really is taking me shopping, I don't buy his nice act for a second. There's no way he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart. There has to be an ulterior motive.

Still, when I think of the commanding tone he used when he ordered me to meet him outside by the limousine and the hard look in his eyes, I don't dare to defy him. Not openly anyway. But I'm still set on finding my way out of here.

So, with a heavy heart, I walk through the colossal house after I've had my coffee and breakfast, find the front door, and wait outside for the man who is my keeper.

Shuffling my feet, I try to think of what the incentive is for taking me shopping? Does he want me to trust him so that I'll betray secrets about my family? Because that's a bad idea. I have no clue what goes on behind closed doors at the Gavino household. My father and brothers keep me away from everything mafia-related. All I know is that there is a business, and that's it's dangerous.

Eventually, Dante comes outside to meet me. When I see him, I have to suck in a breath because he looks dapper in a black suit with a crisp white shirt and a black tie. He looks like he could be on the cover of a magazine, not involved in one of New York's biggest crime syndicates. My eyes rest on the cut of his muscles which are evident through the suit. I can tell that his strong, lean body is made of pure stone. But that's beside the point. The man is a monster, and this is a point I will not soon forget.

"Let's go," he says, leading me to the car.

The driver opens the door for us, and I have to say I feel ridiculous going anywhere in last night's evening dress. I do need new clothes. I need to be wearing anything other than this. But I don't say that to Dante. It would give him too much satisfaction to know that I'm actually happy about our little adventure.

As the car pulls around the fountain on the circular driveway, I get a better look at the estate. It's a grand place that seems more like a castle than a house. There are turrets and ivy-lined walls which look like they've been in existence since the dawn of time.

We take off down a long tree-lined driveway, and beyond that, there are miles of fields and then the surrounding forest, which stands ominous and foreboding, almost like a barrier between me and the rest of the world.

How will I ever escape this place?

I look around for any type of guards standing around the house, and while I don't see them, I know they're there. Dante seems like the type of man to be bent on having superfluous security.

Once we get to the end of the mile-long driveway, there's a heavy-looking gate and lookouts standing by. They wave to Dante, who gives them a nod back. I realize that this is just some of the arsenal he has at his disposal.

We set out driving, to where I don't know. It doesn't seem like there's a town here anywhere. Dante's fortress is set, conveniently for him, in the middle of nowhere.

"You know, princess," he says. "If you relax, you might enjoy our little outing today."

I study him, my jailor. "Why are you doing this for me?" I ask. "I mean, don't you hate me? Why would you take me out to buy new clothes?"

He relaxes back into the seat, considering my question. "I don't hate you. I hate your father. You need to remember that. And besides, were you planning on wearing that dress for your entire tenure with me?"

I look down at my poor dress, which by now is a bit dirty. That'll happen when you're captured from your home, blindfolded, and taken to an unknown location.

"Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to get something else to wear, but it's just not your typical hostage situation," I explain.

His dark eyes set on me. For a second, it causes a deep kind of ache to stir inside of my core. I don't know what it is about Dante—if it's the way he seems to see right through me, or if it's the fact that he's more handsome than any man I've ever known—but he causes me to feel on edge.

"You're mine now," he says. "I want you to be as comfortable as possible and to think of my home as your own."

Home?

I hardly think being his prisoner constitutes being home, but I don't say so. The truth is, Dante's estate is the farthest thing I can think of as being home.

Instead, I settle back in my seat and try to memorize my surroundings. How far is it to the next town? How far will I have to run or walk when I escape from Dante's compound? All of this runs through my mind when we approach a tiny town set back amongst the hills. It shines like a jewel box with lights and color.

What is this place?

Before I have to wonder anymore, Dante explains, "This is the town called Old Ashton. They'll have everything you need to survive with me—clothes, toiletries, whatever you need. But listen to me, princess. You better be on your best behavior here. I want you to be good. Understand?"

I nod. But I have no intention of following his orders. If I see a chance to escape, I will.

I owe Dante no allegiance. While his dark eyes and dark demeanor may draw me towards him in some inexplicable way, it doesn't mean I owe him a thing. He's a monster, the enemy. And he always will be.