Chapter 24 Dante -Destination

I lead Sonia out to the waiting helicopter.

I hate the fact that she looks so unsure of the situation. I want her to trust me, to know that I have her best interests at heart. Granted, I am stealing her away from her family, making sure that Leonio will suffer. But I'll ensure that not a hair on Sonia's head is ever touched. She's mine, and I feel unbelievably protective over her.

Fuck.

For as in control as I am of the situation, it has spiraled into something I never could've imagined. Falling for her was not in the plan. I never expected it.

I'm not ready to let her go. It's not time to relinquish her to her family. Not yet. Not ever.

The helicopter is waiting on the landing pad at the back of the house. I have it reserved, ready for me anytime I need to go somewhere fast.

We get inside, and I help Sonia with her seatbelt. I'll have Romano gather her clothes and things, bringing them later. He knows the way to the private island and will meet us there by plane.

"Dante," Sonia says through her headset. "Where are you taking me?"

The helicopter takes off, and I look at Sonia as the mansion disappears far below. "I'm taking you somewhere safe," I tell her.

"You mean to say that you're taking me somewhere that my father can never find me," she says.

She's right, of course. I'm taking her as far away from Leonio as I can get her. For as much as I care about Sonia, the pain of losing my brother is still there fresh in my heart. I will never forgive the Gavino family for what they did to me, for taking away my brother. The pain of murder is something so sick and so wrong. It's a shock to the system for everyone involved. I want Leonio to pay.

I nod, gripping Sonia's hand. "I'm taking you far away," I say. "But you need to trust me. It's in your best interest."

I hold her hand tightly, hoping that she understands I will never put her in harm's way. Somehow she's gone from being my hostage to being someone that I genuinely care about.

She looks away from me and out of the helicopter's windows. Everything that was her life is slowly fading out of the picture. Soon she will be free.

***

After several hours we arrive at our destination, my private island in the Bahamas. It is only here that I'll be able to keep Sonia safe.

The helicopter descends, touching down on the helipad right behind the contemporary mansion on the island.

"What is this place?" Sonia asks, peering out of the windows.

"This is your new home," I tell her.

Even if she's feeling some trepidation about the trip, I know her fears will be assuaged soon. There's enough luxury on this island to alleviate anyone's doubts.

The place is glowing from the sunlight overhead. Lights illuminate the entire island, from the walkways leading up to the mansion to everything within. I spent a fortune on this place to make it feel like home. Now it's hers.

Once we land, I thank the pilot for an excellent ride, and then Sonia and I get out of the helicopter.

"Come with me," I instruct her, taking her hand and leading her to the house.

"Dante, this is amazing," she says to me, shielding her eyes from the brightly lit sun. "But I have to admit that I feel bad about leaving my family in New York. They'll be looking for me. They'll be worried."

I knew this conversation would come. I've been anticipating this moment when Sonia would have to tell me that she feels caught in the middle between her family and me.

I hold her hand in mine and tell her, "Sonia, I know that this has been hard for you. I've taken you away from your family, from everything you've ever known. But I'm here to tell you that you're not my prisoner. Not anymore. You can turn around right now and go back home—the helicopter's waiting. I'm not going to force you to stay here. But, I want you to know that I feel an immeasurable pull towards you. You've awakened something inside of me, something that I don't want to let go of."

She stares at me, her eyes brimming with tears. I can only hope that they're tears of happiness.

"You think that about me, Dante?" she asks.

I pull her towards me, letting my hands rest on her tiny waist. "Of course I do. You've changed my life. You've changed everything."

She gazes up at me. "I want to stay with you, Dante. I don't want to run away from you, not anymore. You've changed my life too. I used to think there was no way forward for me. I wanted to commit suicide. But because of you, I see a brighter day. I see a brighter future ahead for me. Thank you for that." She looks away from me out at the stunning ocean vista. "But at the same time, I do owe my family some explanation. I know that you have this history with my father, that you want vengeance upon him. I understand that. But I can't go on letting him worry about me. I need to do something to let him know that I'm all right."

I get it. Sonia's a good daughter. I wouldn't expect anything less.

And so the following words out of my mouth surprise even me. "I'm going to permit you to call your father. It's the least I can do. I ripped you away from everything that you are, from everything you've ever known. So if you want to call him and tell him that you're safe, I'll allow you to do that. But Sonia, you have to promise me that you won't reveal our location. You must understand this."

She holds onto me by my waist, pulling me tightly towards her. "Oh, Dante. Of course, I won't reveal our location. I promise you that. Thank you for allowing me to call my father."

We walk hand-in-hand towards the mansion. I have some consternation in my heart, wondering if allowing Sonia time to talk to Leonio is the right idea. But I guess I have to trust her sometime. I have to trust that this is all going to work out.