Chapter 39 Sonia -Risk

I can't believe Dante and I admitted our feelings for each other. It doesn't seem real.

He loves me.

I look at Dante and know one thing—I will sacrifice anything for him. I will leave my family behind, my nanny, Uliva, anything to be with him. So I decide to press him once more about staying on the island.

"Dante," I say, looking into his dark eyes. "I realize this is hard for you and that you don't see a way to leave the mafia behind, but I'm willing to stay here on this island with you, never to look back. Can't you do the same thing for me? Please, consider living here with me. We never have to return to New York. You never have to go back to being the boss. We can just exist here together."

He considers my statement for a long time, his eyes looking out at the long expanse of the ocean sitting before us. Then, finally, he says, "For you, Sonia, I'd do anything. I think you know that by now. I've been thinking about our conversations, about leaving my position as head of the De Rose family. It's a risk, but we could stay here. I could hand over the reins of running things to Romano, let him take control. And you and I could disappear together."

Tears slide down my face as I realize he means what he says. Dante is talking about leaving our pasts behind, about starting over.

"You would do that for me?" I ask.

He nods. "I would do anything for you. You mean that much to me."

I squeeze his hand, realizing that while this is a gamble, leaving our pasts behind, it's what I desire most in the world. I never want to go back to being a Gavino. Instead, I want to stay here on this private island with Dante and ride into the sunset together.

"And what about revenge for the murder of your brother?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Romano will take care of that. He'll take care of everything."

Now I can't stop the tears from falling. This is it, my happy ending. I was so sad before, willing to end my life, but then Dante swept in and changed it all. He made me see that I'm worth something more, that I don't have to lead the life my father had planned for me. Now, I've never been so filled with joy.

I look out at the beautiful sun as it hits the ocean, and I know one thing to be true—this kind of happiness is worth all the risk in the world. My father may be intent on finding us. He may never stop. But I'll take that risk any day if it means having these treasured moments with Dante.

I love him. He's my forever, and I'll never be sad again.

***

When night falls, Dante and I have another fabulous dinner made by our private chef, Sashm. He makes us rock lobster and a conch salad.

"I could get used to this," I tell Dante as I finish my second Goombay Smash.

He leans back in his seat, swishing his scotch around in his glass. "This is our new life," he says. "It's our new normal."

I reach my hand across the table to his. "You know, I need to thank you."

"For what?" he asks.

"For leaving your life behind, for abandoning everything you know for me."

I still can't believe that Dante values our relationship enough to give up his position as boss for me.

"I would do anything to make you happy," he says. "You should know that by now."

I smile, feeling a warm sensation fill up my chest. I never expected to be in this situation, to feel so taken care of and cherished. Dante has changed my world around.

"I don't think I could have taken it," I explain. "Another day living in the mafia might've just broken me."

"Sweetie," he says. "All of that's in the past now. I've already talked to Romano, and he's prepared to take over. In fact, he's looking forward to it. There's nothing he'd like more than to be in charge of the operation. So you and I have nothing to worry about."

"And my father?" I ask, feeling trepidation inside even to consider that Daddy's still out there, probably still angry at me for choosing Dante over him.

"He's behind us now. Your father has no effect on what we do moving forward."

I tighten my hold on Dante's hand, knowing one thing—with him, I'm safe. There's nothing to worry about as long as Dante's by my side.

"I love you," I say, noting how good it feels to say those words which have long been in my heart.

"I love you too, angel." His expression turns dark, his eyes feasting on me. Tonight I'm sure Dante will prove his love to me. He'll make me realize how very much he cares for me by causing my body to shudder and shake to his touch.

I squeeze my legs together to stop the slick wetness from spreading between them. I can't help but have this reaction to Dante. I want him as much now as I did the first moment I laid eyes on him when he captured me and warned me that if I tried to leave his estate, I'd be in trouble. At that moment, I was mesmerized by his dark, handsome looks though I had no idea what was in store for me. Now, I know Dante. I see the man behind the suit and while I understand he would never hurt me, being around him causes flames of electricity and passion to fire off in my body.

Just as I'm taking a sip of my drink to cool myself off, there's a commotion outside. It's the sound of boats coming up to the island.

Dante turns to see what's going on as Romano bursts into the room. "We have a situation," he says to Dante.

Dante's eyes find mine as he rises from his seat. "Sonia, go to our bedroom and stay there."

I gulp hard, not understanding what's going on but knowing better than to defy Dante's orders. He may have given up his life in the mafia for me, but he's still in charge. I think he always will be.

I stand up, quickly heading upstairs to our bedroom even as I hear the uproar getting louder outside.

It's all right, Sonia. Dante will take care of everything.

But even as I try to convince myself of these things, my heart sinks because deep down, I think I realize that my worst fear has come true.

Daddy's here.