Chapter 38 Dante -Love

It's hard to think of a better place to be as I sit outside and finish my coffee.

The ocean's waves crash in the distance providing the perfect backdrop to my day, and palm trees flank the patio overhead giving me enough shade to escape the brutal sun. This island has it all. There's luxury and also privacy. I could see myself living here, but of course, business calls.

Just as I'm about to call Ludovica for another cappuccino, Romano comes outside to find me.

"Boss," he says. "I wanted to update you on the state of affairs in New York."

I motion for him to sit across from me. "What's going on?"

He sits down, brushing a hand through his hair, almost like he's stressed. "Gavino has had his men stalking our property there ever since we left. They're likely to move in any day now."

"But, of course, we're not there," I explain to him. "He won't find the girl."

"Yes, that's true. But as Leonio's discovered we've moved locations, there's no telling what he may do. There's some concern he may burn down the estate in revenge. You know Leonio. He's an evil bastard who will do anything to prove his point."

I sigh. It's bad news. And I should've seen it coming. I went into this war knowing that I would piss off Leonio by stealing his daughter away. Now, it turns out I might be in love with her. My feelings for Sonia have grown deeper by the day. I always knew she would be my hostage, but my lover? I could never have anticipated this.

"Do what you can to keep his men off the property," I say. "He knows we're not there. But I also don't want him destroying my estate."

"Will do, boss," he says.

Just then, Sonia walks out to the patio with tears in her eyes.

"What is it, baby?" I ask, standing up so that I can walk to her side.

"It's my father. I just spoke to him," she says. "He told me that I have to come home no matter what."

I nod at Romano, indicating that he should leave us alone. When he's gone, I look towards Sonia. "What exactly did he say?"

"I told him that I'm safe, that he doesn't need to worry." She sits across from me. "But I also told him the truth, that I'm in love with you and that I don't want to leave your side."

Wait. What the fuck did she just say?

"Did you just say, love?" I ask, my heart hammering in my chest.

She looks at me through her tear-filled eyes. "Yes, I did. I love you, Dante. I really do. I guess these feelings have kind of snuck up on me, but I've been experiencing this for a while. You make me feel safe, and adored, and like everything's going to be okay. I do love you. I can't imagine my life without you."

Instantly my heart feels full, like it might explode with happiness. "Fuck," I say to her. "Sonia, I love you too, so fucking much."

"You do?" Her eyes are full of tears now, and I can only hope that they're happy tears.

"Yes." I nod. "You swept into my life, and while I was never expecting to love you, I can't deny that you've changed me; you've made me a better man."

It's true. With Sonia in my life, I'm suddenly rethinking everything. Maybe there's a way out of this mafia thing after all. Maybe I can turn my back on the life I was raised to be a part of. For her, I would change. I would become anything and anyone she wants me to be.

I pull her into my arms, sweeping my fingers through her hair. I run my hands over her back, around her waist, everywhere.

"So this is love then?" she asks, looking into my eyes.

I nod, gripping her hard. "I think it is."

"Wow. I can't believe it. I've never felt this before, Dante. I've never even come close to having these feelings for someone."

Holding her close, I know that I haven't felt this way for anyone either. There have been women, sure, but none like Sonia.

"So tell me about the rest of the conversation with your father," I say.

"I'm afraid Daddy's not going to let me go so easily," she says. "Even though I told the truth, that I want to stay with you, he didn't seem to hear me or to care what I want at all. Instead, he demanded that I come home anyway."

Hmm. I can see that things with Leonio are not going to end so easily. There's a part of me that wishes I had never started this feud. My only goal is to keep Sonia safe. But then there's another part that remembers the day my brother died, and I know that I'll always want to seek retribution for that, no matter what.

I hold Sonia close, promising myself one thing—Leonio will not take her from me. Not ever.