Chapter 31 Dante -War

I can't believe I have this angel in my life. It almost seems too good to be true. And yet, at the back of my mind, I know that I need to figure this shit out with her father. I may have let Sonia go, told her she's not my captive any longer, but the truth is, Leonio won't stop until I'm dead and buried.

While Sonia's inside, showering, I pull Romano to the side to assess the situation.

"Tell me," I say. "How bad is it?"

"Well, boss. You got what you wanted, which is an all-out war. By the time I left, Gavino's men were swarming the property. We only barely made it out in time."

I run a hand through my hair, frustrated, wondering if this is the right move after all. But, of course, I asked for this. I planned all along for Leonio to react this way. I wanted him to come after me, to wage war on me so that I could have my revenge. But now, with Sonia in the middle, all that's changed.

"Does he know our current location?" I ask.

Romano shakes his head. "No. As far as I understand, none of the Gavino clan know we're here. They won't be able to guess it either. This island is hidden, far away from the world and especially from New York. So don't worry, boss. They're not going to find us here."

I shake my head, wondering if any of this has been the right move. But, now that I have Sonia to consider, I want to do things with her best interest in mind. Suddenly, her safety is paramount; it's all that matters.

"Keep me apprised of what goes down in New York," I tell him. "If anything changes, if Gavino gets closer to knowing our new location, tell me."

He nods. "I will, sir. Of course."

I leave Romano where he stands, and I go to find Sonia. It's only been an hour since I left her side, but I ache for her still. My body burns for her, to be near her.

I find her in the master bathroom, freshly out of the shower. She looks gorgeous with wet hair, standing in a long shimmering white dress.

"God, fuck, look at you," I say.

"Do you like it?" she asks, doing a little spin.

"Like it? I fucking love it. You look stunning."

I walk over to her, wrapping my arms around her tiny waist from behind as she finishes putting the final touches on her makeup.

"You know," I say, nuzzling my face against her hair. "We could always skip dinner and stay in the bedroom all night. I want to ravish you."

She turns around to face me. "You, Mr. De Rose, have an insatiable sexual appetite. I can hardly keep up with you."

I smile. It's the first thing Sonia should know about me. I can't be held back. I have a thirst for her that can't be quenched. I only just got done fucking her on the beach, but already I need more.

Holding her by the waist, I look down into her deep blue eyes. "I want you," I say. "I can't explain how much. You fuel me, Sonia, in a way that I was never expecting."

She laces her fingers around my neck. "I'm so happy to have found you, Dante. I was in such a terrible place before you. Now, I feel so happy."

Her words cause a warm feeling to overtake my heart. I remember when Sonia was ready to fling herself out the window. Now, she says she's happy? It's music to my ears.

We hold each other for a while like that before I break away from her. "Unfortunately, we have to go to dinner. I have a chef who's been brought in from the mainland, and he's been working on dinner all day."

"Good," Sonia says. "I'm famished."

I walk with her out of the room, through the house, and down to the main dining room. It's a vast space with big windows that look out over the ocean. There's a table that could seat twenty, but Sonia and I sit at one end of it, near each other.

Ludovica comes out and pours us both some wine.

"Thank you, Ludovica. It looks great," I say to her.

"It's a rare vintage, sir, from the year 1983. That was a good year for pinot noir. You'll find this one is light-bodied."

I swirl the red wine in my glass, and Sonia does the same thing. It's hard to rip my eyes away from her as she sips the vintage wine.

"This is excellent," she says. "I'm no wine connoisseur, but I like it."

My eyes sweep over her fantastic body and the way she fills out every curve of that dress. It falls over her breasts, exposing just enough of them to make me yearn for more.

Fuck.

Sonia is incredible.