Chapter 32 Sonia -Monster

It's hard for me not to stare at Dante from across the table. He has the dark, good looks of someone I could only fantasize about. His thick hair sweeps down, almost over his eyes, and of course, he's wearing a suit, but I can see the muscled outline of his body through it.

Somehow I've become lucky enough to deserve a man like him. I can't believe I'm in this position when I felt imprisoned only a little while ago, and I was so close to having to marry one of Daddy's wealthy friends.

Now I have Dante, and I feel like I'm floating on cloud nine.

He swirls his wine in his glass, appreciating the subtle notes of oak and raspberry, while I watch him with rapt fascination. It's hard to tear my eyes away from his tall, 6'5 frame. He dominates the room with his magnetic presence.

But, inevitably, my mind goes to darker places. I can't stop thinking about what was said on the beach. Dante told me that he would love to live here, on Diamond Island, and I have to wonder why that idea can't turn into a reality. There's nothing that I want more than for him to leave the mafia behind and to be with me.

Inside, I'm cursing my father for killing Dante's brother, Silvio, and putting him in the position to have to run things. Now, Dante must feel as though he can never escape this life even though I know he longs to be free.

Just then, the chef comes out with Ludovica in tow. She's carrying two plates of our dinner, which the chef introduces.

"Good evening. I'm Sashm. It's nice to meet you," he says. "What you'll find here are island flavors. I've made you Bahamian crawfish with a side of souse. It's a traditional stew made with oxtail. And for dessert, you'll be tasting a traditional rum cake."

"Thanks for coming all the way over to our little island, Sashm," Dante says.

"Yes," I chime in. "Dinner sounds fantastic."

The chef bows his head and leaves while Ludovica serves the plates. The food looks and smells delicious.

"Thank you," Dante says, smiling.

"Of course, Mr. De Rose. Is there anything else I can get you? Perhaps some Sky Juice or a Goombay Smash?"

"What is a Goombay Smash?" I ask.

"It's a cocktail made with dark rum, coconut liqueur, and pineapple juice, among other things."

"Sounds wonderful," I tell Ludovica. "Maybe I'll have that in a bit."

With a subtle smile, she leaves the room, and then we're left alone.

I decide to press Dante further on the subject of why he has to stay in the mafia. I know it might be dangerous territory to push him, but I need answers.

"Dante," I say. "I know that while we were on the beach, you said that you couldn't live here forever even though that's what you want to do. But I need to know why? Why do you have to stay in the mafia if it makes you so unhappy?"

I take a bite of my meal, noting how flavorful and savory it is. And then I wait for him to answer me.

He looks up, his dark eyes finding mine. I have to wonder what goes on behind Dante's tough and powerful exterior. Is there a man in there who can be vulnerable? Can Dante put down his walls enough to tell me the truth, which is that the mafia doesn't make him happy? He's told me as much before. I know that Dante wants to be free; he just needs to admit this to himself.

For a second he avoids my question, maybe thinking about how to answer it, but then finally says, "Sonia, angel, I've explained this to you before. When I said on the beach that I would like to live on Diamond Island, that was just a mere fantasy. It was me speaking aloud. I didn't mean it. But, I obviously can't give up my life to stay here on this island, with you, away from the world."

"But why not?" I question him. "You're the boss. You can do whatever you want."

He shakes his head. "No. It doesn't exactly work like that."

I find myself becoming irrationally emotional over the issue. There's suddenly nothing I want more than for Dante to leave his life of organized crime. It seems critical that he do so.

"I need you to do this for me," I say, pleading with him. "I can't be with someone who lives such a dangerous life, who engages in crime."

It's my final card. Either Dante will understand that this is important to me, or he won't. I can't be in another situation with the mafia. I just can't. It nearly led me to suicide before. I knew my father and brothers were doing wicked things. I knew they up to no good. And the idea of that used to keep me up at night; it was too much for me to take. Now, to think Dante may be doing the same sorts of things is also too much for my soul to handle. I don't want to think of him as being a monster. He's been too good to me for that. I know that Dante is a good person, but he needs to leave his life of crime behind.

"Sonia," Dante says, his tone warning. "I can't live here. It's a goddamn fantasy. Don't you understand that?"

Tears begin to stream down my face as I realize that he's serious. He's never going to stop being who he is—a crime lord. Not even for me.

"I need a new life," I tell him. "A different life. One that's not associated with the mafia in any way. I can't live like this anymore."

Dante reaches over, wiping the tears away from my face, but it doesn't help. I've exchanged being the sheltered Gavino princess for being Dante's princess. It's all mafia-related. I don't know what Dante does behind closed doors. I don't know what evil he's involved in.

"Sonia," he says. "I will always take care of you. Can't you understand that?"

"It's not enough, Dante. It will never be enough until you're out of this godforsaken world. I can't live this way, being constantly afraid of what violence will ensue and wondering what crimes you're up to."

I stand up and walk out of the room, turning my back on him and everything he represents.

I've done the right thing. He needs to know that I'm not okay with any of this. I'm not okay with being any man's mafia princess. Not anymore.