01 - Chapter One - Lukas Black's Point Of View

I was still absolutely livid when I went to work the next morning. I vented to one supervisor I worked with about what I had seen and that had landed me in the Chief's office. Telling him the entire story three times. I conveniently left out the parts where I called him names and flipped him off because it wasn't important.

"You didn't cause them any trouble did you?"

"No."

"Good. We can replace cameras, you can't be."

I couldn't hold the shiver that went down my spine at that thought. The Chief was about to say something else when one supervisor came asking for me.

"Hey, Chief we need Lukas, We got a few bodies. Fished them out of the river."

"Not the lake?" I said curiously.

"Nope, These are older too."

"Great, my favourite," I said tightly.

Snagging the camera in my office and my LHPD coat I followed behind the current officers that were headed there. The ride was quick, and they found the bodies in a pretty public area. The tents were up and they fenced the area off. I could smell the bodies before I ever got close. They gave gloves and a mask to me as I stepped into the tent. There were four bodies laid out on the ground and they were all in different states of decay but they had all been there pretty long.

I took first look photos looking for anything that would help right away. They had shot all four in the head executioner style and had cement shoes. After taking photos of all the different wounds and spots on the bodies I headed to photograph where they had been. Snapping a few photos I looked for a better spot to take higher angled photos.

There was a pretty tall tree right there. Making sure I had a path to climb I set up the tree and got into a suitable spot. Zooming in on the other side of the river I sighed when I spotted a few more bodies. These were floating along the top and didn't appear to actually have any feet. Snapping a few more photos I got out of the tree and jogged over to the supervisor who was roping more area off.

"We have more bodies, along the other side."

"Show me."

Pulling up the photos I did just that and he immediately called for more officers to rope that area off. Looking at the traffic that passed by I stilled as a white sports car drove by right behind a black Suv both over the speed limit at least by ten km. The Suv was just like the one I had seen yesterday.

After all my work at the scene had been done, I got back to work and went inside. I noticed the white car in the parking lot but thought nothing of it. I noticed the Chief had people in his office which wasn't rare but they were in suits and that was odd.

Shaking my head, I went to my office and dropped my coat on the hook and my bag beside it. With the camera in hand, I uploaded the card to my computer. As it was loading on one computer I was working at enhancing and cleaning photos on the other. The phone on my desk rang, but I was too into cleaning the current photo to pick it up. The sound of a fist on my door had me jumping taller than I was.

Spinning in my chair the Chief stood there.

"Are you allergic to answering your phone?"

"No. I was deep in work."

"My office let's go."

Part of me wondered what the hell I was getting into trouble for now. The Chief walked in first and then I followed and he shut the door behind us; I was going to ask why he did that but I turned and saw the man from yesterday and a carbon copy of him only younger. I didn't even give him a moment to speak, either of them. I hissed out in anger.

"You!"

The younger man looked at the older man with an eyebrow raised and said nothing to him. They had similar features, they could be father and son, or brothers maybe even further related if the genetics were good enough.

"I understand you had a run-in with a few of our men yesterday, My uncle here included."

"Yeah, I did."

"I would like to pay you for your silence."

"Not needed, I will not mouth off about what I saw. I'm well aware of the family's business."

"Ah yes, I would think you would be."

I glared at the man sitting beside him. I was so far from done with my words for him.

"Something else you would like to say that you didn't when I smashed your camera short thing?"

I wanted to respond but I shouldn't more so with my boss there, but the more he looked at me the more my feelings of anger grew again. Like before, I flipped my lid.

"You know that cameras have a memory card right! You didn't have to go all smash and slam on my camera till it was dust like a steroid raging monkey!"

"Lukas."

My boss looked at me with a look that told me to go back to my office now.

"Excuse me. I have to get back to work, I have photos of bodies to organise though I'm sure you know nothing about that." I said pointedly at only one of them.

Making it back to my office I closed the door softly before wanting to scream my fool head off. He had known I had worked here. Though I wasn't really all the surprised they had a way of finding people if they wanted to. I didn't even want to be associated with the mafia's money, not because it was crime money but because I didn't want to feel like I had helped with any of their work.

I felt his eyes on me as they left the PD. His eyes had been even sharper today than they had been yesterday, but that was probably because I got to see them up close this time. Curiously had got the better of me and I skimmed the database for why he looked familiar to me so I couldn't understand why.

After looking for twenty minutes I found his mugshot, though he looked much better now than he did when he was booked. I had worked here then doing mugshots then as well, but only mugshot and I hardly spoke to any of them, just took the photo and that was it.

Looking down at his name I found it fit his Italian looks.

Andrei Mihail