09 - Chapter Nine - Lukas Black's Point Of View.

Three days later, here I dressed messily in the inky black suit I owned, only because my mother had drilled it into my head I should have at least one suit for things like this. She had also forced me against my will into getting one. I didn't bother to correct my suit; it wasn't like was attending a wedding or photoshoot. It was a funeral.

Grabbing my keys, I locked the door taking the last of the things needed for the viewing. My mother had specified in her will that her viewing would be a closed casket affair. Respecting her wishes, a large recent photo was to be on display.

Before leaving for the funeral home, I checked my truck one last time to make sure all was in order.

Bill and Willow had taken over setting up early this morning and I was so greatly appreciative of them. She deserved the best send-off, and they had helped make that happen. Sadness filled me again as I pulled up to the parking lot. They did not prepare me for this, but I had no choice now. I had to be an adult about this and do what needed to be done. I was thirty after all.

Getting out of the truck I checked my watch and took a deep breath before grabbing my bag of stuff and heading inside.

Inside was how I expected, the scent of a wax warmer wafted around the open space just inside the door and cool air hit you like a ton of bricks. It did nothing to help take the weight of the last four days off.

I looked around before walking further inside the building, nothing about the building was inviting. Willow spotted me pretty quickly. She dressed in the nicest outfit, my mother would have wanted to know where and when she had got it. Well, it was a somber event there was a lot about my mother to be celebrated. She was a brave and strong woman who I had known my entire life. My mother hadn't moved on from my father not that I thought she had to, but it had worried me in my younger adult years. I could only imagine the things they must be doing currently in the beyond. I didn't believe in heaven or hell, but I believed in an afterlife, one where you see everyone again.

"Oh Lukas, look at you, Your mother would be happy to see you in that suit. I remember the trouble she went through to make sure you got a good suit as she had said."

"Yes, you knew all about how she forced me to get the suit. I'm glad now though if I'm, to be honest."

"She would be honoured by you wearing the suit."

"She would complain about the state of my suit. But she would be happy I wore it, regardless."

Our conversation cut short by the lady who was directing the funeral service for my mother. She offered me her condolences and showed me around and show me everything they had done. It was honestly beautiful what they had done. Around, the photo of my mother they had also put my parent's wedding photos, and it pulled deeply in my heart. The service was less than twenty minutes from being open to visitors. I didn't even know if anyone would bother showing up. I had emailed everyone a second time to tell them the plans and times. Hopefully, someone would come.

"So that's everything we have set up Mr. Black, Is this what you wanted for her?"

"Certainly. It's just perfect. "More than I imagined."

"I am so pleased to hear that."

She stepped away looking over the folder in her hands. Willow and Bill both came over and spoke hushed as if not wanting the lady to hear them.

Her knowledge in this area is impressive."

"Yes, Yes nicely done."

I didn't reply. Honestly, I was distracted by the flag that I knew was in the bag in my hands. I could help but touching it. The bag was over my shoulder and my hand was inside the bag light touching the flag. For twenty years it sat away and only came out when my mother was celebrating his death. I had honestly only seen it a few times and touched it even less.

Letting out a deep breath as the first cars pulled in I was glad this was the only viewing. By this time the next morning, she would rest under freshly laid dirt and then I would have to figure out how to go on without her. Part of me had thought of joining my parents here in death, but I couldn't. No matter how much I thought about it, there was no way. It felt wrong for anyone else to bury my mother.

Well, I stood off to the side I had become numb to the people coming in and saying they were sorry for my loss and if there was anything I needed to reach out. The words had become tasteless and dry, I just wanted them to stop.

I looked at Willow, who was deep in conversation with a few of the neighbours who paid respects.

"I'm going to step outside for some fresh air, ill be back in a few moments."

"Sure, Hunny. I got it, you take your time."

The thought of running away was there, but atlas there was no way I even felt a single pinch comfortable leaving it on Willow and Bill. This wasn't their job, It was mine as her only child. The air outside was cold and felt good on my face. Retrieving my fob out of my pocket I unlocked my truck. But I didn't get inside.

Coming up the road was a bunch of cars and trucks, one after another. They all pulled into the parking lot. I relocked my truck out of instinct and watched. As the last one parked my mouth went dry, they were all getting out of the vehicles. Dressed in military uniforms were many people. Both men and women. I knew a few of them, or rather remembered them from when I was a boy, this was my father's friends and their families. They came to pay respects. I almost went unspotted but one wife looked right at me her eyes wide and she yelled my name across the lot.

"Lukas!"

I remembered her. She had been really close to my mother before my father died. I remembered playing with her children and at one point even calling her and her husband, my aunt, and uncle. Then mom cut everyone off, but I understood. We both were suffering a loss.

"Look at you! So much like your father."

"Thank you."

I didn't expect her to hug me but she had.

"We are here for you Lukas. Let us be here for you."

I don't know why I did it. But I pulled out the flag. I let it unfold; the wind catching it and sending it up. The only thing holding it to earth was me.

"Please help me send her off like you all did my father. This is so important to me. She deserves this."

No one said a word, but they watched the flag fly in the wind. Her husband stepped forward his eyes held the same pain mine did still for losing my father. He had lost his best friend, and then his best friend's wife.

"In trust this to me, Lukas. We will do this right. Give her the same honour and send off we gave your father our captain. She was your mother and all of our family too, we want to help honour her."

The wind died down allowing me to fold the flag again. Once it was refolded, I put it in his hands and we locked eyes. As if he understood what this meant to me he held it tightly without ruining it.

His wife took my hand, and she pulled me inside as they all headed inside. After all this time, I was still shocked and amazed that they had come.

Twenty years.