17 - Chapter Seventeen - Lukas Black's Point Of View.

Sitting at my desk, I groaned again for the twentieth time in the four hours I had been here. The events of a week ago weighed heavily on my mind. Not my anger or my words, but that stupid kiss and how he reacted after it. His anger was both terrible and hot to me, I hated he had got so pissed off with me. It wasn't my fault he had kissed me; I had only kissed him back.

Maybe that had been the issue, that I had kissed him back. But why would he kiss me, if he didn't at least think I was going to kiss him back?

I wanted to rip out my hair in frustration. I needed a coffee in the worst way, but I didn't want to run into Andrei well I was there. Looking through the murder photos made me think about what Andrei had said about his father and the conversation he had that night. He had held me and comforted me. He had known what I needed, and he had been there to give it to me.

Sighing, I got up from my desk and left my office. I was allowed to wander around the offices as long as I didn't get in the way, and everyone pretty much avoided me when I was wandering so that was good.

It had been a really slow week, and I was running out of actual work to do. I headed back to my office and closed the door. The photos I was processing were for our only murder case and it was a pretty old body so there weren't that many evidence photos.

Laying on the ground, I looked up at the ceiling well I thought about the case we were working on, but a little about the kiss too. Stretching my hands up at the ceiling I realised something important about the case. I jumped up off the floor at the same time the door to my office opened. The chief stood there, his arms crossed.

"I just had a massive breakthrough!" I said excitedly.

"Better be good Lukas, Because the mafia has made it very clear they would like you to not be in the office for any more of the business meetings."

"Oh."

That was not that shocking after what played out with Andrei. But what the hell was I going to tell the Chief about it, he wouldn't understand it. Not without the complete story and I couldn't do that, it wasn't his business.

"Yeah. So what's this big breakthrough?"

"I figured out why the body was in the position, the way it was."

"Yeah?"

"Yes, the body was in a box, maybe a coffin or something smaller. They had probably scratched at the lid until they ran out of air, hence the position they were in."

"I'll double-check that with the lab."

"I could do that."

"Stay here, do your job and only yours Lukas."

"Right."

I sat back in my chair. I had started at noon today and if I was going to be removed before the mafia showed up that would give me maybe another two hours at work max before they started to show up. This was all just so stupid to me, but it was my fault. I should have thought about this before I fought with Andrei about stupid shit.

At five o'clock, I grabbed my coat and made sure everything was off before I locked up my office. The Chief was just coming out of his office; he looked annoyed, but he waved to me as I left. The first place I headed as soon as I left the office was for a coffee. I danced to the music in my truck as I waited for my drink.

I paid for my drink and then took it. The first sip was definitely the best, and I needed it. I drove home, parking in the driveway. Heading inside, I sat on the couch sipping my coffee. It was a little after five and I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I had never been kicked out of work before.