12 - Chapter Twelve - Lukas Black's Point Of View.

After settling down for a bit, Andrei and I went to the living room to watch tv. We had idle conversation well, movies played one after another.

"Will you return to work after they lay your mother to rest appropriately?"

"That's a good question. I don't know what else I would do if I didn't. I don't have a life outside of this house and working."

"Ah, It's never too late to get a social life. Do some dating, make some friends, you know that kind of stuff."

He had a point. I could go and make new friends and start dating again, but honestly, it was just easier to work my life away. I didn't have to depend on anyone, and heartbreak was something I would have to suffer.

"I couldn't see myself dating or making friends, I'm far too comfortable working my days away."

"Amen to that," Andrei said, chuckling.

He had a child; I had seen him. So at some point, he had been in a relationship or maybe just a one-night stand; the point was he had someone before. I didn't miss the way Alexi had looked at me either, He clearly thought there was something going on between us. I couldn't say I wouldn't at least try that once if I was given the chance to, Andrei was a good-looking man. It felt all kinds of wrong to lust after a man who was here to make sure I was ok. This was a good sign for me to head to bed.

"Alright, I have to head to bed. I have a really early morning."

"I'll sleep on the couch."

"If it's too uncomfortable, I don't mind if you sleep with me."

I didn't miss how Andrei smiled smugly at my comment.

"I didn't mean it to sound like that."

"No worries, I know what you meant."

I ran off to my room before I could say anything else that terrible. I hadn't given him a blanket or pillow or anything like that, but there was no way I was going to give him anything after my blunder. I only wanted to hide in my room away from him.

Closing my bedroom door once I was inside, I changed into a t-shirt and boxers before slipping under the blankets. I didn't even have to turn on the light in my room to find anything; I had such a simple room layout. Wrapping myself around one of the pillows I rolled on my side and closed my eyes. I was actually pretty tired, There was no waiting to fall asleep. I was pretty sure that happened the moment I closed my eyes.

I woke up before my alarm went off; I was really warm and cosy. I was also quickly aware that I was not alone in my bed and the reason I was warm and cosy was that I had wrapped myself around Andrei. He was still asleep and didn't seem bothered by the fact I was clung to him. He didn't seem like the type to allow me to be clung to him if he didn't want me to be. I thought about removing myself from being pressed against him, But I didn't. I still had a few hours before I had to be up. I was going to go back to sleep. Closing my eyes I listened to the sound of his heartbeat. The rhythm was quick to make me drowsy and put me back to sleep.

At some point later, I felt Andrei move me and get out of bed. The sound of the toilet flushing and him returning to the bed only a few minutes later. He got back into the bed and pulled me lightly right back to where I had been laid over him. I opened an eye to look at him.

"Go back to bed. You still have time Lukas."

He really didn't have to tell me twice, the heat alone from him was making it really hard for me to stay away. I was cosy against him. I hated to think about it, but I could get used to this. I absolutely could.

The sound of my alarm going off woke me up again, and I just wanted to kill the damn thing. Andrei silenced the thing before I could. He didn't look like he had headed back to sleep after he used the bathroom. I hoped he didn't just sit in bed with me holding him down making him unable to do anything. He didn't look mad at all; he looked quite comfortable.

"I'll move."

"You don't have to just yet."

"I'm sure you——"

"You still have time to lay here. You don't have to move. Besides, some human contact might do you some good."

It was almost like he was also enjoying the human contact. Just touching but in no way sexual. Just a comfortable touch. I was enjoying it, but that was because I was starving for human contact, for someone to hold me and tell me it would be ok. But I couldn't admit that out loud ever. My mother had been the only one who was constantly there for me and now that she was gone, I wasn't sure what I would do when I needed someone this way.

Sighing, I finally moved away from him. Had today not been what it was, I would have just laid here against him for as long as he allowed me to. I couldn't lie, I didn't want to leave the bed, I didn't want to go see them put her in the ground. I knew it would all be over then. My life I had would be over, she would be truly gone and I would be alone.

The scary thing was it was finally setting in that I was going to be alone. In this big house all by myself, no one else to see or speak with. No one to ask me about my day, no one to care if I came home.

"It will get easier Lukas, I promise you this," Andrei said, looking at me softly.

"I hope so."

We both dressed. I expected him to want to head back home, but no. He decided to come along with me to the rest of the service. He said he wanted to be there for moral support and a person I could seek comfort from if I needed it. The thing was, It was kind of odd to me that he was here. After all, Just a handful of weeks ago he smashed my camera and I was going to hit him in anger. But then, he had also saved my life. He could have left me out in the rain and I could have frozen to death. I was prepared to join my only family. He didn't allow that for me though, he had saved me.

He wasn't anything like he was when he had a job to do, He was downright scary, but this Andrei, the one who shared my bed with me, was not. I wasn't sure if this was the one to actually be terrified of or the one I had seen before. One showed me kindness and comfort, well the other show me fear and destruction.

The cemetery was starting to fill up as Andrei and I arrived in my truck. He had been the one to drive, Well I sat bundled up in a sweater and jeans. It was absolutely pissing down outside and the scent of rain filled the air. Honestly, I just hoped they would be able to put her in the ground with no problems caused by the rain.

None of the army men from before was here yet. I just hoped they hadn't forgotten about our deal, they would send her off right. As the hearse pulled into the cemetery it was followed by many trucks. They filled the road as they parked. I was shocked when they all stepped out in the same military uniforms they had laid my father to rest in. It was hard to see them in their formal uniforms and not imagine the last time I had seen my father in his. Eight of them surrounded the hearse as they covered the coffin with the flag and picked my mother up. This wasn't anything fancy, she was just going to be carried to the grave and placed on the stand before being lowered into the ground.

There was a small vase of black roses to be laid on the coffin top by everyone who chose to. I couldn't stand the look of the fucking horrible flower. Andrei and I approached the grave just as they set her and her coffin on the stand. The flag was removed after everyone had shown up and before the roses were placed on the top of the coffin. The only people who remained when the coffin was finally lowered in the ground was the men who served with my father and their families. They waited until the first dirt was covering the coffin and the flag was handed back to me, folded with the most respect. I was soaked by this time, so I could imagine how Andrei felt.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have made you stand in the rain with me."

"You didn't make me do anything. I did it because I wanted to."

I nodded slowly.

I turned to all the remaining others and spoke from the bottom of my heart.

"Thank you for giving her the respect I felt she deserved. She is finally at peace with my father. It means a lot to me that you all came. My father and my mother both would be happy you came as well."