33 - Chapter Thirty-Three - Lukas Black's Point Of View.

Stepping out of the house, I composed myself before getting the camera out and ready to take photos of the evidence. There was a lot of ground to cover here, so much to photograph. Starting at the body seemed like the best spot. My friends from the lab showed up as I entered the house, I heard my walkie go off. Taking photos of the pile of bodies, I was sickly amused by the way whoever had done this had dismembered them and made a totem pole of heads, hands and feet, the rest of the body parts were here or there. This was a sick individual.

There was no way this was Andrei or his crew, They didn't do this kind of shit, and I felt like someone would have warned me about this. I was the only one in the house. The smell of rotten eggs crept into my nose. I immediately realized what the smell was, natural gas, and started walking out of the house quickly.

As my foot hit the last step of the porch and the words natural gas leak left my mouth, everything went to shit.

The house had combusted, and I went flying in the dirt of the front lawn. The house had a large front deck, and I had been far enough away from the blast to live. My supervisor was the first to pull me up from the lawn. He checked me over, his words falling on deaf ears as I couldn't hear because my ears were ringing from the blast. Turning around, I looked at the fireball where the house had been. There went all our evidence.

I looked around the yard, finding the camera that had been in my hand when I exited the house. The lens was cracked and the back screen had some scratches but the memory card would be more than fine.

"Lukas, I've called the Chief and an ambulance, for you. You need to be checked over."

"I was the only one in the house, Right?"

"Yes, Everyone else was waiting outside for you to finish up."

Touching my lip where it was aching, there was blood. My supervisor handed me a napkin, and I held it to my lip.

"I hate to say this Lukas, but after what happened to Andrei and with you two being involved, what if this was just to get you?"

"No, there's no way. Whoever it is has had plenty of chances but this one."

"Lukas, once the chief is here, and you are looked over by the EMTs go home. You are off with pay until this is over."

"What! That's not fair!" I yelled, frustrated with this.

"I don't care if it's fair or not, This very well could have been an attack on you, I'm not having that on my back, I'm not losing you to shit like this."

"This is bullshit."

"Lukas, Watch it. I can suspend you for longer."

The only thing we were all doing was standing around watching the house go down in flames well waiting on fire and ambulance services. Everyone was really jumpy, the Chief was the first one on the scene. The chief looked me over, giving his head a shake.

"Lukas, you are off work temporarily until this is over."

"Yeah, I already got the word."

"Dean is at the station getting your truck and your stuff. He will be here shortly. Once you are cleared, you go home and nowhere else."

"What home am I supposed to go to?"

"The one where you have protection."

"So back to the complex. Cancel the ambulance, If I need anything I'll just get looked at there."

"Lukas you need to be checked over."

"I'm walking, I'm talking and I'm fine. I'll get check over there."