Chapter 17

"Please help me sign my attendance, David." Lily said, not even bothering to look, typing in her laptop quickly, "am too lazy to walk all the way down there."

"Okay, okay." David mumbled, and squeezed down the hallway.

Aerie pulled the brown roll of map and opened it on her lap. It was the sized A2. Large, obliviously. But Aerie couldn't tell why it looked interesting to her, in any way. She never studied anything in geography. Except having a world map hanging around the wall in her room in elementary, she had never had laid eyes on a world map.

"You like it?" Lily said, still typing in her document, "Got it in the same thrift store. Full colored, brown in background and a color for every country. Would cost pretty much outside, but I got it for five bucks."

"Well, yeah. Looks nice." Aerie said.

"Found something interesting?" Lily said, "You know, theres that little interesting thing in everything we got there. Something that normally can be found elsewhere."

"I haven't." Aerie said, "I don't know. Why?"

"The coloring." Lily said, "either they are going to have different colors for different countries, if they are going with a few only, they would still coloring countries that are close to each other in different colors."

"You mean Ireland, Iceland and United Kingdom are colored in the same brown?" Aerie said, "Thats pretty trash for a map, right?"

"Not only this." Lily said, "You notice the land isn't quite right?"

"What land?" Aerie asked, "Its pretty small, I don't see the problem here."

"Really?" Lily said, "Then you must trash in geography— oh wait, you don't study geography. Anyways, theres more black lines scattering around everywhere on the map. That's not normal."

"What?" Aerie said, "I don't understand."

"Of course you don't, pussy." Lily laughed, "Anyways. It's not important, its only my habit of collecting weird things."

"No it not weird." Aerie said.

"Oh yeah it is. While others are collecting posters and things, I would be collecting junk from thrift shops or dumpsters." Lily said, "I have always been been like that."

"Don't say that—" Aerie tried to say, but nothing much came out. Lily sounded sad, somehow. But Aerie had no idea of what she should say to her.

"Heya." Brian said, talking the seat in between them, "The two of you are starting without me?"

"Nah." Lily replied, "Just a casual chat, you know."

"Then start with me." Brian said, "You studied the floor plan yesterday for like— the whole day. I couldn't even call you."

"Okay." Lily said, looking up form the laptop lying on her lap. Their geography professor walked into the room, and collected the stack of papers, which appeared to be the attendance sheets. "I guess my three hour study on the school map won't go into waste this time. Especially— who was that?" Lily stopped. "Especially near Cade's office and this geography teacher— professor Smith's office."

"Him?" Aerie said, looking at the professor who started scrubbing notes onto the blackboard. Though he looked pretty young when compared to all of the other teachers, he didn't even bother to use the computer. He seemed like a boomer, and definitely one too, when given his teaching choices, "why? Shouldn't they be at different corners, their offices, I mean."

"Well of course, Aerie!" Lily yelled softly, "but cant there be two places that had something special? You moron."

"Thats it?" Aerie asked.