Chapter 26

Cade stared at Brian, who was lying on his bed for the last time. What a sweet coma, he thought. A moment before this, he checked with Lily. Aerie had not been back anytime in the past week. She elaborated on the story of her going on a brief trip home to visit her grandma, to which Cade politely told her to stop, knowing it was only the story he knitted inside her mind.

So he would be going to the party tonight.

"Lets hope you'll wake up soon." Cade sighed, "or people are going to suspect. And there would be a lot of brainwashing work to do."

He grabbed the ticket inside his hands. A party with two hundred people, an underground meeting between him and his rival, The Association. Eleven years ago, the day when he decided to left Aerie behind, he swore to destroy the rival that pulled him back into the infinity, back into the ceaseless game of hunt and being hunted.

And after eleven years, the same threat was posed to him again. The Association again, and Aerie again. The thought of being affectionate over a mortal had always been wrong, time had proven it in more ways Cade could express in words. Immortality could never meet mortality, for all ends would be tragic, all fate would be unbearable.

Cade had made this mistake twice. Once, it costed him his family. Twice, it costed him his sanity.

He chuckled. After all, the moment when he stepped into the door,he would be sacrificing himself for a child that he barely met for the most recent eleven years among the long and stretching centuries he had before.

Cade was simply proving that he had a weakness, after all. As the other chattering and joyful people were chatting, entering the venue and showing their tickets one by one, Cade followed and made his step, smiling politely on his face to blend in.

There were dancing. And there were drinking, for the music was loud and the lights were much dimmer than he had expected. It was supposed to be a party between elite students and businesses, an event for students to gain connections.

Cade declined the offer of the waiter for a cup of cocktail, walking towards the other end of the hall. They would be waiting at the basement of the mansion. Jack was, a great friend of the host- the mayor's son. To which he took advantage of his recently gained relationship and made the 'meeting' more secret.

Cade would not be surprised to see chaos shortly after. He noticed that a few of the guests had their eyes on him when he entered. And to his unnecessary curiously, a few of the waiters had there eyes on a few other guests too, hinting that it was pretty likely that there were something else happening below the tables here, tonight.

"Hey." Cade walked towards one of the guests that was looking at him for the whole time, and smiled at him in a polite and not embarrassing manner, "Had something on me that made you interested?"

"They already know that you are here, so don't think of anything stupid and we highly recommend you go directly to end the deal." She replied in a serious tone, eyes still fixed firmly onto Cade. She fixed her clothes, and placed her empty cocktail cup onto the bar table next to her.

"What a pity." Cade laughed casually, "thought I might actually get to enjoying myself in the party atmosphere for a while, haven't been to those for such a long time already."

The guest did not reply, she simply stood in front of him eyes dead. Even with her beautiful- better than average- looks, she didn't even bother to smile or grin. "Not really into the mood of jokes, huh?" Cade said.