Chapter 34

Somehow Aerie thought it did made some sort of sense. The door would lock when someone walked past it. Though it would explain why the maze could function in the first place, it could not explain why when Aerie opened the door after Cade, it could still be opened- only she was not lead into the same room as him.

Aerie thought for a moment and marked a small cross onto the wall of the room with the pen knife she had, and took the door in front of her. Her plan- to reach the barrier of the maze would not be affected even when the doors would lock behind her. She would take every door in front of her until she reached a dead end.

As a precaution, she marked a small cross on every room she went through, and wrote a small number on the wall to induce the number of the rooms she had been before that one.

It was pretty smooth for the first 16 doors. Opening and closing, opening and closing. Aerie felt as if she could speed up the process, she started to get inpatient for the dead end could be reached.

When she opened two more doors, to her surprise, there were already a cross on the wall. Big with some wood scraps hanging onto the scrap, telling her that it was freshly marked.

It had to be from Cade. He had been inside this room already, and left. Aerie closed the door behind her. She knew that there should be another door that would be locked- it had been entered twice. So instead of trying for the one in front, she tried all three of the doors. She expected only one of the door be locked- but instead, instead of two, there were one more that was locked.

Three. Three doors were locked. Aerie had never been into this room before- her small cross with a number did not appear on any of the walls in the room. She was sure she marked every single one of the rooms except the first one, which was, regrettably, a mistake. But on top of that, she was sure that the room she was in was not the first one. Not the one where she got lost with Cade.

Which means that except the two of them, there would be a third one. A third person in here.

Aerie stated at the room, at the door in front of her. She reached for it. But before she could feel the coldness of the door knob, it twisted on its own. Slowly and gently, giving off squeaks. That had made her instantly withdraw her hand, and pressed it onto the other unlocked door instead.

It continued to open, and Aerie's Han is now more firmly on the door knob. She felt bad- it felt bad.

"Hey." The door was being smashed open. Not to her surprise, it was not Cade. Obliviously. It was someone else- a woman. A young looking woman that had a smile that was way too mature or her face. A face that looked in her twenties- if not thirties, with a long dress that covered all of her legs. Even the shoes. "The antidote that you want. It's here."

The lady. Lady Lovelock.

She flexed the box on her hand. It was a very small one. But small enough to hold something also tiny like an antidote. Aerie stared into her. She should have instantly grabbed for it. But she did not. Instead, she stayed where she was, lying against the door and doing nothing.

"What's special of this maze?" She laughed, and their eyes met. She did not went forwards, having no intention of hurting her. By the looks of her, she was not armed either. "I'll be moving. The doors would be locking. That's all. Hopefully if you're lucky enough, you wont get into a room that had been went into thrice."

Lovelock giggled, in such a wired tone that she was obliviously faking it. "Because honey, you will be trapped forever." Aerie reached directly for her when she finally realized what was happening. But she was already slamming the door behind her and it was too late.

When Aerie was close enough, the door was closed. Slammed shut. Aerie's hand landed directly on the door knob. She twisted it, and turned it. It was still unlocked, but she was led to another room instead. Empty, new. With nobody inside. She yelled in frustration and pulled the door as a way to vent her feelings.