Chapter 8

"Four students," the hall manager in front of them said, "two in geography, one in- what was that? , and one." He paused, and sighed, "A full scholarship student in medical ; running away in the middle of the night and trespass restricted area where death case just happened a month ago. Who do you think you are, Sherlock Holmes? The great detective to cases?"

"We—" Aerie tried to say, but was being cut off.

"There would be no need for further information, Miss Kudrow." The manager continued, cutting her off, "Assistant Cade had already told me everything. If he had not volunteered to stop you, we would be really sorry if anything happened to you."

"I—" Aerie tried to say again, but was cut again.

"He told me that the few of you are avid investigators, and have been engaging in research about real crime for quite a long period. He mentioned that you felt greatly to the recent case of dead body found in the city hall, and thus the investigation. He appreciated your efforts and passion, but all of us, the board of teachers and managers wanted to warn you the dangers. Areas are restricted with a reason."

"We know." Aerie said. She was surprised that all what the manger said was fake, but decided to go along with the story anyways. After all, she was pretty sure that whatever story it was, whatever Cade made up, would end up better than the story of ghost hunting. "We were just-"

"Have anyone ever, taught you anything about manner with talking, Miss Kudrow. It's not my first time already." The manager leaned forward from his seat, towering over Aerie, "I hope that I don't have to teach a grown up about manners. So if you please— shut up."

Aerie leaned back to the back of her seat, stunned. The others were really quiet. Sitting on the chair, shaving. Maybe praying too.

"You know that all of your actions comes at a consequences, right?" He said, "I hope that the all of you would understand that whatever punishments we may impose on you, it would be for your own good. And your understanding would be appreciated."

Aerie stared at Cade, who was silently standing at the corner, hands in front of him holding together, looking at the few of them. Angry? Confused? Surprised? All? Absolutely. Cade looked back into her, his eyes told nothing but boredom. Aerie stared back, eyeball spinning inside her socket, trying her best to get his attention.

Before their death sentence came.

'What? I tried my best in getting you out.' Cade stared into Aerie, saying with his eyes as he made sad smile.

'But you got us into this in the all this in the first place!' Aerie simply stared harder into him, her stance still.

'I could just leave you there, or maybe not saying anything for you, you know.' Cade replied.

'It's your fault.' Aerie smiled bitterly at him.

'I would not have done anything if it was not you.' Cade continued. Before Aerie could dig any deeper in the staring war, Cade looked out of the windows, ignoring any move that Aerie tried to made.

"So, after careful considerations of our managers," The manger started, after lighting his cigarette on the desk, "We have decided that since it is the start of the school, and you, as the freshman, had been badly informed and warned, would easily do something against the rules."

Aerie breathed, and she was sure that Brian was the one who breathed the deepest.

"This would be a great warning for anything else that you would do. We would not leave any remark in your student portfolio, and it was deemed unnecessary for detentions, which would ruin your impression on our school. Hence, though you may can leave free this time, as suggested by Assistant Cade, we hope that you can read the school rules over, to have a better impression of our rules."