Chapter 45

⚠️TW: major character death⚠️

"None of you would be going away." Jack said simply. "Do you think that you could get away when Lovelock gave you the offer? It's not that simple. She's also one of them."

"What are you gonna do?" Aerie said. She walked forwards, staring at him right into the eyes.

"You'll be first." Jack mumbled. "Feel free to say anything, because that's going to be your last words before joining your parents in hell." He walked forwards casually as he wiped the drop of blood on his forehead. "As for them-" he said, signing.

"They could do whatever they wanted- at least for now. We would be getting him first. And then her. She must have gone wrong thinking that she could get away so easily, don't she? We could tore her apart for our seniors. Lovelock would be dead just like Cade."

"You're a hypocrite." Aerie said. She took a step backwards, for she knew she stood no chance against him when unarmed. "Do you know what you are even doing? If you are talking about killing me, fine- understandable. But you're talking about Lovelock- she's your colleague."

"You're betraying."

"Of course I do." He replied. "We were on orders to hunt and kill every single one of the immortals. Every single one of them in this world. She's the leader for this team, yeah. But what makes you think that she was at the top? There were other heads, other people who could issue orders. Its not what you think."

"You're a heartless monster, Jack." Aerie said. It wouldn't be useful for her to argue with him, either. The conversation won't last. Jack would eventually take her life if she did not fight back.
Her eyes darted around, looking for something that she could take hold of, to strike with.

She moved around, sticking to the walls. A knife. It would be what she needed. There were a set of uniform lying on the ground, with a small stained blade next to it.

It would be prefect.

"You would only ever be controlled by people, Jack. Don't you want to be yourself?" Aerie asked as she slowly moved herself closer to the weapon. "Don't you want a life? A life with family and kid that you love and away from all this murder?"

"And why would I? I volunteered." Jack laughed. He didn't notice the moving, which was good. Aerie thought. "And family? Know what, ginger girl. My entire family was cleaned by you-know-who. Your friend over there, Aerie. I would want to see him dead more than anything."

Aerie bent for a little, bit by bit, before picking up the knife and putting it into her pocket, blade facing out so that it wouldn't scratch her.

"Enough talking?" Jack said. "It's purely unfortunate that the journey of your life had to end here, as young as your early twenties. I'm sorry for your loss. If I had the chance, I would definitely stop by your grave and place a flower or two."

"But your life ends here, Aerie Kudrow." Jack said, pulling the trigger of his gun.

It had to be now or never. Instead of ducking or running, she ran forwards. With the knife in her hand, she pushed it forwards. She sprinted forwards, aiming directly for Jack's chest.

She closed her eyes. Either the bullet would be penetrating through her skull or it would be the knife piercing through his shirt.

There were crimson between them. Aerie opened her eyes, and so did Jack. There were a moment of grasping between the two before Jack dropped his gun. Aerie stated into the wound. It was him.

"I'm sorry." Aerie whispered, backing off but by bit as the red bloomed on his black shirt. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

She turned to run, towards the doors, leaving the knife behind. When she was running, she could hear Jack fall. The sound of a body collapsing to the ground.