Chapter 1

Tomorrow. Such a big word for such a small immortal.

Cade glanced around the room, at the world around him hat seemed so quiet, so peaceful.

For now.

In a few hours, The Association would be here. Before any longer, he would be running, and gunshots would be firing. Silenced pistols would be his only companion, and the fight would be his only routine. Before then, before the run starts, Cade is Cade. Cade Canning. The young dude who barely reached 21.

"Hey." Aerie said, breaking the silence between them, "it's gonna be nine soon. Season finale for the cartoon."

"Cool." Cade said, unable to find words to reply her properly. "We can watch it together after I finished the dishes."

"It will be so exciting, wouldn't it?" Aerie replied, smiling cheerily, "I really want to know what happens in the end."

"Yeah," Cade said, "Me too."

Aerie. Reaching her ninth birthday just a few months back, she was always smarter than all the other kids at her age. Cade remembered that the day he met her was the day when she was bring thrown away by her parents. When she glanced at him with her tiny black eyes, Cade knew that there was something special about her.

It only took one moment for her to register its space in his mind, and only another for him to decide to have her with him. Aerie was four then. "Hey. Where are your parents?"

And it had been five years ever since.

"You aren't excited about it?" Aerie questioned, with her smile still so cheerful and her voice still filling with the softness that a nine year old should have, "we watched this drama for like three months everyday before the season finale today."

"Yeah, of course." Cade replied, "I have been waiting to know what happens to— you know— the main character."

"His name is John!" Aerie yelled as she made a grumpy face that spoke of nothin but cuteness, "And he will be fighting against the big bad villain!"

"Yeah yeah." Cade replied, "I was talking about him, exactly."

"Have you really been watching, Cade?"

"Yeah." Cade replied, throwing all the dished that was finished just now into the sink as he turned on the tap to allow water to run on the "Really, Aerie. Just a bit tired today, a lot of of stuff to do today."

"Oh." Aerie replied, "Really?"

"Its been the end of the month and my boss told me to type a lot of documents today." Cade said, squeezing a grin as he casually lied. The routes of running spun inside his head as he calculated the possibilities that would happen later, the number of people showing up, and for hoe far he needed to get away to get all of these people away.

"But didn't you tell your boss that you'll be watching the season finale today?" Aerie asked, curious. She took a seat in the middle of the

Cade laughed, "Nah."

"So is this the reason why they told you to do so much work today?" She asked, "I think that if you told them, they would be better you."

Cade giggled. Children have always been funny. "Things don't work this way, you know."

"Oh." Aerie replied, "So you are really really really tired, aren't you?"

"My muscles are falling out of me." Cade replied as he acted as if his mussels have been really falling out of him. "Gonna sleep like a log tonight."