Chapter 6

First floor.

Brian ran with everything he had, with Aerie following after him as the two of them made use of every single bit of the moment that they had brought themselves. In the distance, they can hear that the guards were fixing the sensor, taking away their attention as they momentarily forgot about the two of them running away from curfew.

"Here." Aerie whispered, looking as the flower bed lying below them as she gestured Brain to jump over the fence from the first floor to land on ground floor.

"Really?" Brian replied in disbelief. Before he could say any further, Aerie had already jumped over, landing in a soft trud.

Brian started at her, hand trembling as he gripped onto the fence. He then climber slowly, releasing his hand only after having his whole body over the fence. And he landed, pretty badly, with a big bam.

"Oh no." Aerie whispered when she heard the sound.

"Its two turns and well be out of the school campus." Brian said, standing up shaking, "we should run for it."

"Good." Aerie commented, running after the exit, pushing it hard as she waited Brian to go with her. Even at he distance, she could still hear the sounds of other footsteps, a crowd of them, coming after the two of them. They sounded louder, and more aggressive. And much closer and faster then what their running speed.

Which means that they were close.

"Quick." Aerie urged, glancing at the clock as she said, "we don't have that much time."

Brian ran after the door, trying his best as he still pained from the bad jump. In the back of the hallway, Aerie could already see shadows of people running after them, tall figures, enlarging as she thought.

They definitely don't have the time. Aerie continued to pull the door open, hoping that Brian could make it fast enough so that the two of them, or at least him, would not get caught.

'They are there— One of then in the back yelled, as the group accelerated. Somehow Aerie knew that Brian would be hurt somewhere in the back, when his steps were much slower and his body shook. Sweat ran down her neck as her hand gripped onto the door she already opened, waiting for Brian. The people were chasing, and they were running.

A midnight chase.

"Close the door!" Brian screamed this time, knowing that the people already caught up with them. They were barely meters behind when Aerie slammed the door shut, walking off as they tried to unlock the door. They were lucky. And they would be even luckier if none of those people, Aerie guessed there would be at least five, recognized them.

If not, the trouble would not be now, it would be right after when they got back. Confessing their hall cards, detentions, you name it.

Aerie took a deep breath. They eventually made it, after torturing the coffee machine in the middle of the night never before.

"What are you even thinking? Jumping off fences from the first floor?" Brian questioned, still breathless after the run, "that could kill you, you know."

"Jumping from a meter high couldn't kill you." Aerie replied, showing her ankles to show she was perfectly fine, "with a bit of good practice anyone can jump unscratched. And the flower bed made everything better. See?"

"Well, I never jumped from the first floor!" Brian yelled, rolling his trousers up to show his leg, "There's bruises all over me now!"

"It would be very useful when running away." Aerie replied, a bit guilty for what she suggested now, "You can still run, right? You know, the game has just started."