Chapter 28

"Its been quite long since that Saturday." Aerie said calmly, "in fact, I have been trying to find you ever since, only to see you inside here. You didn't even bother to lock the door."

"I always lock the door." Cade replied, standing up though he still felt wobbly. He poured himself a cup of coffee, hoping that it would wake him up. "So where have you been? What day is it now?"

"It's another Wednesday. Though theres been another week between already." Aerie explained patiently. Cade listened even though he couldn't get himself to completely pay attention. He was fairy surprised that he could actually fall unconsciousness for an entire week and more, and wondered if this had been the end of the effect of the antidote.

He should have done better. Cade thought. He spoke after she had finished with her side, and in the end they agreed that it would be better to make a move only when his situation got worse. He- would be making a move. Not her.

Cade thought that its as certainly enough for Aerie. It was way past the line for her to know about him, and anything more Cade would have to reconsider- he would have to wipe a part of her memories about everything that had happened.

"Do you mind giving me a second to myself?" Cade asked suddenly out of the silence. Aerie agreed and walked out of the room. "Tell me when you need something, eh? You really don't look good, mate. You should see for yourself in the mirror-worse than a walking ghost."

"Just a minute or two. Maybe half an hour. But I'll be fine. Just you know, calling a friend." Cade replied casually, looking away.

"You have a friend?" Aerie joked, "Thought you were always the lonely old man."

"Pretty much the 'lonely' part. Not that old, really." Cade replied.

"Quite the opposite to me." Aerie laughed, and closed the door behind her.

Cade took a breath. The spell came out like a whisper. A small one. He always knew when things were getting worse, he would rely on it. A friend that would always reply. A friend that shared a same piece of mind.

But the expected did not come as expected. Even after the last word faded from his mouth, Cade was still alone. He tried again. This time much faster and louder though the volume was still comparable to a whisper.

And even after another long moment of silence, Cade was still alone.

Cade was, of all possibilities, surprised. It would always work. Every single one time. He wondered why it didn't this time. It was- Cade thought, a bond made between the two of them, a promise that they made.

He had his number, of course. And yes, he tried to call it. It was not unexpected at all that he could not reach him. He had only ever reached him through the phone for less than three times in the last decade- he was in an area that Cade's internet could not connect with his.

Cade tried the spell, for the third time. It had not worked, and even after a whole minute Cade was still alone inside his own office. He fell flat onto his office chair.

He was tired, certainly. And more tired every second passed. Cade yelled into the empty air. He just wanted to, and so thats what he did.

"I'm fine, heh?" Aerie said, pushing the door back open and walked in. "You friend left you alone?"

"Kind of." Cade said, still looking away from her.

"Then thats a yes." Aerie said, "what kind of friend is that? Can I know about them?"

"No." Cade replied, looking at her as he continued to lie flat in his office chair.

"Well thats fine." Aerie said, "I'm not interested in friends that don't have a functional phone anyways."