Chapter 24

The lights were dark, and the room was small. Aerie could smell the stuffing air that filled the whole of the room. There were no windows surrounding her, and immediately she was pretty sure that she was somewhere unground, but she could not tell. She had fainted for too long, and she had travelled too long.

"Hey." Jack said, "finally awake?"

"What have you done?" Aerie yelled the second he pulled the rope on her mouth, "where am I?"

"Woah woah." Jack said, "thats quite a lot, isn't it? You are already at the party location, by the way. A room underground, in case you haven't figured it out already."

"Where's Brian?" Aerie said, "and why is he not here?"

"Oh. He's dead. Killed by you." Jack said simply, "if that would make you happier."

"What—" Aerie said, softly. "No—"

"Nah. I was joking. He's fine in the hospital." Jack said, "And I am pretty sure that Cade would be going to see him. But our people didn't see him anywhere, or I would have known."

"Why would I believe you?" Aerie said. She was alone indeed, and the situation wasn't so bad either. There were a bit of canned food, and a bathroom. She hoped that it was functional, at least.

"It's completely your choice, actually." Jack said. "And we all believe that Cade would want to wash his brain a little, you know. And yes, he could do that."

"You're saying- he could wash people's mind at will?" Aerie asked.

"Oh yes he can. Only at distances reachable by hand though." Jack said, "a few of us have been washed by him. To different degrees too. He mainly did that to make them turn against our own. Haven't he washed you before?"

"No-" Aerie said simply, "why would he do that?"

"Well then." Jack said, "Guess he cared for you enough to not do that to you. I have stuff to do. I am sure that you can't make yourself at home, but at least don't do anything stupid in here. I can't take care of you twenty four hours a day."

"Wait—" Aerie said, "what have you done? Why am I here?"

"Isn't it obvious enough?" Jack said, walking towards the door. "we offered Cade to trade himself for you at the party that would be held this Saturday at night."

"And what if he doesn't come?" Aerie said, "Thats literally one for one."

"We'll kill you." Jack said, "Easy. You're mortal."

Aerie breathed. A few hours ago her life was still in her own hands, and a few hours later it was not. Now even with the comfortable-looking room Aerie sweated. Her own life was entirely deepening on Cade, it would now be his decision, not her. Only that fact would make her already want to throw up.

"And if you try to escape, we will kill you earlier." Jack continued, "again, it's your choice. We would be surprised if you obediently stayed here for the entire week— its literally Wednesday today. Quite a distance from Saturday, really."

Aerie did not reply. She saw him leaving the room, and she was finally alone. There wasn't much there, certainly no electronic devices, but there were a decent table with a double bed.

A double bed. Ironic that in her whole life, Aerie had never slept in a double bed before. She would actually be lucky if she had two bed sheets in winters. Aerie leapt into the bed. She was instantly struck by the comfort it gave her as if she was melting into the mattress. She wanted to sleep in it forever.

But she had to escape. From here. No matter if Cade would come or not. She would be breathing fresh London air again before Saturday no matter what.

The water heater was working, to Aerie's relief. It was a good sign, Aerie could enjoy the cup noddle inside the box in peace. She must admit that though all of the food was canned instant food— which means nobody would bother to send her anything at all— the noodle from an unknown Japanese company tasted pretty good, to her surprise.