Chapter 43

⚠️TW: blood⚠️

Somehow the walls seemed more creepy when she was waking alone on it- the staircase extended in for the of her, and the smells extended further. She felt as if she was actually going inside a haunted house, but the pops, the things that were around her were real.

"And the immortal- is me."

Aerie read the sentence inside her mind again. It felt like an end- an end to a mystery story that nobody expected.

It was a lie. She tried to convince herself when she took another step up. The sign around said "Level B4." She was very near to the top, three floors away. It would be a really small walk when compared to the distance that she had made- from twenty floors below the ground to here, and eventually, she would make it. To floor B1.

Aerie wanted to prepare herself for what would likely be happening. But she could not. Her steps slowed down, and her heart raced- not because of the exercise that she was in, but because of what she did not want to know.

She knew that from day one, there were secrets that had to be hidden. Away from people, people that she actually cared for. Secrets that would break them apart.

It was another level up when there were screaming, screaming that came into her ears, piercing through. It was so high pitched, screams that were filled with fear, but it was eventually being cut off brutally as if they were balloons that ran out of air and eventually stopped and dropped mid-air.

It was where everything was happening. It was where things were being pushed to another level.

He was there. The intruder- The Only. And the truth- it was there.

When Aerie was one floor closer to the end, the screams seemed evens more horrifying. Her insides aches more and it felt worse- by then she was sweating not because she was tired. She was worried about what she might possibly be seeing.

Aerie knew what the things- the facts lead to. But she was scared. One step forwards she would be facing the truth. One level up and there would be no more secrets.

She ran. For the air that smelt like fresh iron and the sweat pouring down her hair and burinons inside her eyes, she ran up.

It was only one floor away.

There were screams- high pitched and low pitched. They were diversified, but eventually they all died down. There were sounds of things being thrown, shelves being flipped over and pushed around with nasty sounds of them scratching the floor. There were fighting in every inch of the floor. She was sure.

Aerie pushed the door open- Slammed the door open, to be precise, when she arrived at the first level.

Bloodshed. It was of the least unexpected, by the sounds of it and the situation that she had seen before this. It seemed like a hurricane- things were being pulled in and thrown out brutally.

A hurricane that took everything inside the room by storm, and in the end, nothing remained.

There was a figure in the middle. A decently dressed figure in white shirt in the middle of the room, standing out among all of the others who either wore dark uniforms or laboratory clocks. The shelves were out of order, and the people too.

The last of that seemed to be around fell the moment when Aerie pushed the door open. And there was a moment of silence. The tiny moment where everything seemed to be done and nothing was left.

"Well I thought," he said simply. He did not bother to turn, but by his tone, Aerie could tell that he had a very clear idea who that was- who she was.

She recognised the voice. It was the same even when the blood stains on his coat did not seem to blend well with the familiar tone that so got used to hearing.