Chapter 44

"It could end here, if you couldn't accept the fact." Cade said, calmly as he laid his hand on her shoulder. "It would be much easier then you thought. The antidote did kick in, it'll be smoother, with no pain at all."

"But for what?" Aerie asks simply, "what are you even talking about, Cade?"

"Your pain." Cade replied, "if you agreed, all the memories could be cleared within seconds. You'll wake up remembering a whole new story that's sweeter, memories that would feel more real than you could ever imagine. You would have been living in a loving family, and you're only on a vacation alone. The pain, it'll go away. All of them. Of course, including all of the mood she's that you saw here."

"Why?" Aerie asked, "it's not perfect, yeah. But why would I want it to be replaced? Why would I ever wanted to forget about- you?"

"Don't you think that it would be kinder?" Cade said, "your story. It won't have a good ending, the more you know, the more you would going down that hill. Everyone have a limit, you too. There will eventually be one day when everything was too much, you couldn't take it anymore. We could end it here. Like a piece of cake."

"Because you're scared." Cade said, "you'll soon be thinking in the wrong direction. If you're a big thinker and the fact about me annoyed you, believe me, you would be soon plotting against me. You would be joining them, if not The Association, someone else would get to you. It wouldn't be so peaceful when we reached there, believe me. And I won't be so gentle when that day comes."

"You're the one who changed." Aerie said. "I- i would never do that."

"How could you swear that you never would?!" Cade yelled. "I've seen more people swore their loyalty than you could ever count with the brain cells in their mind, and every single of them turned against us- none of them stayed, Because you know what? They're scared. That's all. It's fear the thing that had been driving people crazy. Look at you- you're shivering!"

"I—" Aerie yelled back, "you're doing that because you're believing in me- you're so certain that I'll turn against you, but hey, I can actually go and join The Association. Yeah yeah. They probably much better than you!"

"They actually tried to make you join them?" Cade said simply. "When?"

"Just now!" Aerie yelled. "The time when you're running around like a mad chicken and murdering everything in sight? Yeah?" She was angry. She could feel the blood running under her skin. It was nice to scream it all out.

"Really?" Cade replied. He blinked twice. And the anger in his face a moment ago dropped. "That-" he sounded disappointed. And the cat that his lips shut confirmed that he somehow regretted it.

"Good. You're feeling bad now." Aerie said, "and id you excuse me, sir, I'm gonna join my fried over there because she's also a immortal and she's a lot nicer than you!"

She turned and walked straight for the door. But instead of actually going for the door, the moment when her eyes blinked once, she was back on the original spot, with Cade staring at her into her eyes.

"You know it's equally easy for me to send you directly to god instead, hm?" Cade said, crossing his arms in front of him. "Maybe even easier. You could have been any one of them who were lying in the pile right now."

"What?" Aerie said. "Think that your threatening would work? If you think that you did, then yeah. It did. Congratulations. I'm now going to stand here and do nothing, if that satisfies you."

Cade sighed. His face dropped further when he did not reply. Aerie knew she was making him feel sorry, and she was taking pleasure off it even though her eyes was still wet.