Chapter 48

There weren't time for her to prepare. When the sentence finished, he leaped up, dragger in his hand as he leaped towards Lovelock.

"You're executing without a trial." Lovelock started, carefully dodging the strike. She trailed on his face, trying to search for eye contact between him and her, but surprisingly enough, even when he seemed to be looking at her, she could not meet his eyes.

Which means that it would be much harder for her to get into his mind and take control. After all, she was not Cade. While he could be making people do what he wanted without even looking back, Lovelock struggled every time when she wasn't making full eye contact with the person desired.

She was not armed. First of all, which puts her in an extreme disadvantage. Because, after all, he was armed with sufficient amount of weapons. And she guessed that he might also have one or two guns with him inside his pockets somewhere.

"You're delivering a death sentence-" Lovelock tried to say, but it was too late. It was being cut off as the other immortal made another violent stab with his dark coloured dragger.

"Have fun." The man said simply, and all stood. They walked, slowly, one by one as they pushed the door to leave.

Lovelock knew it was too late. Much too late for her to try and talk, because they would no longer be listening.

The only thing left in the room was her. And the person who was supposed to be her replacement.

"What do you want, actually?" Lovelock yelled on the top of her lung when she dodged yet another strike. She couldn't hold it any longer. She knew what would be happening to her- she knew. She would be pinned down, and the same process that happened to Cade would be performed on her again, only with someone else instead.

"It's an order." He replied, looking at her. "The one who stays here gets the spot." It was that brief second when their eyes met, Lovelock knew it was the moment. She stared back into him.

A mistake. It was all it took for the man in front of her to stop moving. They dropped the dragger, which she picked up really quickly.

A puppet. It did not last long. Once she picked the dragger up, the pain that came from him stroke. The immortal- he was waking up. He knew how to get rid of her strings, and it was exactly the thing that he was doing.

"No." She mumbled, staring at him even harder. "You can't be waking up- you can't be." Sweat poured from her cheeks, the puppeteer tried her best to hold the puppet in place with the strings that could no longer bear the weight of the puppet.

She had to run.

She had to.

"So you think that your tricks would work?" He said, staring at Lovelock as he sprinted forwards, pushing her back with force that made her flee across the room and slammed onto the door. "I could do what you could, too."

The cards changed so quickly. Instead of having strings extending from her, it was the suffocating feeling that came towards her instead. Limbs being pulled out of her consciousness, brain no longe thinking what she wanted to.

She was the puppet now.

"Let-" Lovelock wanted to scream- "let me out!"

She yelled. But it was too late. She was inside her own mind, a dream that was designed for her from her opponent.

She knew it. And she knew how to escape. Find the one single person that did not belong here, call them out, remove them from her brain.

Is that simple.