Chapter 18

⚠️TW warning: blood and violence ⚠️

Rinne breathed. The air was unusually thin and the atmosphere unusually quiet. They were here. And they were here for her. Every nerve in her aged body knew that the exits of the woods would be closed— she was lucky that she could got into here in the first place.

Shadows flew around. The mumbled chattering from a distance told her that the people from The Association were already around.

It's going to be okay.

The sky was still dark. It had long been known that they would always chose to strike during the night. But that was when they were inside the city.

But when the first man fell, when the chase started and the group went out of the city, the case was different.

The nightfall was no longer an advantage for them. Nobody would be interested in whatever happens in the rural. Nobody would bother- and ever knew that bullets were flying around the woods. And absolutely nobody would bother to know if anything had happened.

The darkness and the unknown is now Rinne's advantage.

The only reason that up till now, why she has not yet been found was because the dark was hiding her. The woods covered the skies. Rinne gently sat by a tree and waited.

She was tired. In the last three hours they had been running. Out from the city and into the grounds where people were rare.

Time was passing. And that was not a good signs. Hunters would like the dusk. Prey prefer the dawn. Nobody could see well in the thick mist. Nobody could catch her. For now.

Rinne knew that the moment when the sun rose would be the moment when she would be caught.

"It's gonna be okay, it's gonna be okay." Rinne knew that the reason why they came so early must be because of Cade. He must have done— or said something. She knew on the first moment when Cade called her, rushing to tell her to be careful.

But she didn't blame him, though. She knew that he must have a reason— whatever that was. She knew his routine, and in turn, he knew hers too. They came to this agreement so that they could go for each other when things happen.

Rinne sighed. Her house was burnt, obliviously, and the people were getting closer. She bet that if she breathed harder they could already knew where she was.

"Area B1 cleared."

Rinne could hear the static hissing. She could hear her heart beat faster by moment. Who knows what happens when they get her?

The two of them agreed that a the Association wanted immortals like them dead. But none of them had a clue about why they wanted the two of them dead.

"Searching in Area B2."

Rinne had no idea where they meant. The areas that they mentioned, the places that they went through.

It should be at least three midnight. The darkest period seemed to had passed and it seemed it was no longer that dark.

She guessed that they should be around three meters from her. If she said anything, they could probably hear her, and the other way around. She should probably leave. Find somewhere else, think of another plan.

She was alone.

Leaves fell onto her head as the autumn breeze blew her. It had been a week since Cade's call- Rinne expected them to come earlier.

Footsteps.

It was the sound of footsteps that came from people. Man. Rinne's heart pounded against her chest. She had to run.