Chapter 40

"I can't fight them physically- I can't!" Aerie said.

There was no room for hesitation. Aerie could not scream back, she could not talk about- negotiate.

Cade was gone. He was gone way before Aerie could talk any further.

"Look at your drawing." Leo said. Once again, she was inside the room, she was inside the same scene, playing the same game.

"Piss off." Aerie mumbled under her breath, "you should have something better to do in your little life."

"Did you just say piss off?!" Leo said, pulling her away. "What do you think you are- Aerie Kudrow? Telling me to piss off? You?"

"Yes. Me." Aerie said, staring into him into the eyes. "I am telling you that this stops here. You will get out, and you will continue with your life, okay?"

"Oh- cool. Our little nerd tried to run again like chickens in an animal farm. Go on. Try running away, won't you? Start now, raise your legs, bastard, and look what's gonna happen to you."

Aerie started at him. She hesitated. She knew that she should not. She had to stand up.

"Don't dare to?" Leo teased. "That's right. You will stay here. And you will listen to us."

"Enough?" Aerie said. She raised her voice as much as possible, to sound menacing enough to stand up against him. "If you're done then I am getting out. You're polluting the air I breath."

She made the first step, turning against him. It wasn't the same moment when her waists were grabbed by him, pulling her back. Aerie tried to run, to get away. To push herself for a step forwards.

"Run, little prey." He laughed. The grip came tighter and tighter, the familiar pain that came internally, that hurts so much that nobody would ever see it. "Preys are always caught, right?"

It's not real. Aerie thought. It's only in my own brain. It's only me.

The pain felt real. The force felt real. Every attempt she tried to break free, use the muscles on her legs, she was being pulled back. Back into the original spot. Back into the jail that she could not break free.

"Try harder." He teased again. "You're losing. And I am not even trying." He laughed, the laughter pieced through her ears, making her shiver, making her stop.

If it had been any other time, she would have allowed herself to fall. She would have allowed herself to fall back into the centre of their circle.

Aerie had to run. She had to escape from the bullies. She had to escape from herself.

"Let me go." Aerie said firmly, stopping the struggle for one moment.

"And why should I?" He said, pulling her back.

"Because you will." Aerie said, turning to face Leo so suddenly, and pulled a pair of scissors from her pockets- the exact same pair that Cade left on the table before he disappeared once again.

Determination. If there were anything inside Aerie's eyes, it would be determination when the blades of the scissors touched the bully's skin.

It went right through the T-shirt.