5. Middle School Story

"Hnn... GRAAAAH!!" Tanaka roared as he spiked the ball past Tsukishima.

"Wooo!! Good one, Tanaka!" You cheer from beside Suga.

Tanaka cheers loudly and takes his shirt off, waving it around in the air.

"That's only one point!"

"Put your shirt back on!"

You whistle loudly, earning a slap from Suga.

"Looks like getting Tanaka riled up might not have been the best plan," Daichi says, chuckling.

"Tch!"

Tanaka receives the ball, sending it back to Kageyama.

"Hinata!" He sets the ball.

Hinata grins and runs up towards the net, stopping for the slightest fraction of a second and launching himself into the air. Everyone looked shocked at the sheer height he managed to clear. His hand reared back as he got ready to spike the ball.

But then, to mostly everyone's disappointment, Tsukishima blocked it, sending it straight down on the court.

"I was really shocked when I saw that yesterday. For a shrimp, you sure can jump! If only you were a measly 12 inches taller. Then you might've been a super star!"

"Give it to me again!"

You sighed as Hinata got shut down again.

"Come on, you two. I'm stuffing you like a turkey. Why don't you break out your royal set?You know, the one that leaves your opponents in the dust? Oh, riiight. It tends to leave your hitter in the dust too, doesn't it."

"Shut up."

Tsukishima smirks triumphantly while Tadashi accidentally serves the ball into the net. The ball falls to the floor and rolls under the net.

"I don't need to use any of my fast attacks," Kageyama says, picking up the ball. "I have other ways to beat you."

"Bring out the killer serve!" You yell, ready for him to make Tsukishima pay for all the insults.

Kageyama threw the ball up, took a few running steps, jumped into the air, and hit the ball. It zoomed across the court, just barely over the net.

You smiled a little as Daichi moved up and received it perfectly. Bringing your hands up, you clap a little. Even if you were cheering for Hinata and Kageyama, you were still proud of the others as well.

Tsukishima set the ball for Yamaguchi, and Hinata flubbed the receive.

"Grr!" Kageyama gritted his teeth.

"Daichi-san's strength isn't on offense. It's his stable, consistent receiving. He's a monster on defense." You chime in from the sideline. Suga and Tanaka nod in agreement.

"Were you hoping you could score on us a few times in a row?" Daichi says. "I don't have any eye opening talents like you do. But what I do have.. is an extra two years of experience at receiving all kinds of serves. We aren't going to be as easy to break down as you think."

"Come on, your majesty. Don't you think it's about time for the king to get serious?" Tsukishima taunts.

"HEY!! HOW COME YOU KEEP TRYING TO MESS WITH HIM?! WHATS THAT ROYAL SET OR WHATEVER AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?!" Hinata yells.

"What. Don't you know the reason he's called the king?" Tsukishima says, raising an eyebrow.

"Huh? It's because he's a super amazing elite player. People at other schools started calling him that because he intimidates them, right?" Bless Hinata and his innocent soul.

"There are a lot of people who think that's it. But it wasn't other players who started calling him 'the king of the court.' Rumor has it that it began inside Kitagawa Daiichi. By the kings own teammates, in fact. They were calling him... a self-centered King. A tyrannical dictator who always had to have his way."

You frowned as Kageyama's demeanor changed. Feeling bad for him, you step on to the court and wrap your arms around him, not caring if it was against the rules. But he didn't react. He didn't push you away but he didn't hug you back either.

"I'd heard the rumors beforehand, of course, but when I watched that game, I understood why. After all, during that finals match your tyranny went too far and you got benched."

Kageyama leaned into you, his fists clenching as he remembered that awful day.

"Uh-huh. And thanks to that game you're terrified to even attempt a quick set."

"Y'know, I'm getting reeaal tired of hearing you talk."

"Tanaka," Daichi warned, shaking his head.

Kageyama turned around in your arms, subconsciously leaning his back against your chest. "Yeah. I am. The idea that no one will be there when I put the ball up scares me down to the bottom of my soul.."

It was silent in the gym for a moment.

"It's okay, Tobio," you mumble next to his ear.

"Wait. But that was all back in middle school, right?" Hinata says, tilting his head to the side. "If there's someone there to set the ball for me I'll go after it every time— so that doesn't matter anymore. Right now, the bigger problem is how to get one past you!!" Hinata said, turning and pointing his finger at the tall blonde.

"Pft," Tanaka and Daichi laugh quietly.

"We're gonna beat Tsukishima and join the team for real! Then you're gonna get to be the official setter! And put the ball up for me. What else matters right now besides that?"

Figuring Kageyama would be alright now, you let him go and walk back over to your spot beside Suga. The silver haired male crosses his arms, angling his face away from you.

You snicker. "Koshiii, is somebody jealous~?"

"N-no!"

You grin and put an arm around him anyway.

"Y'know... that kind of pure, earnestand straight forward attitude makes me sick. Enthusiasm and guts aren't enough to make up for being a foot too short. If you think that if you just try really hard everything will magically work out, you have another thing coming." Tsukishima walks away from the net and the game resumed.

"Free ball!"

"Tanaka-san!"

"Got it!"

The ball arched off of Tanaka's arms and went towards Kageyama.

"GIVE IT TO ME!" Hinata and Tanaka yell at the same time, both running up toward the net.

"Tanaka-san—"

"KAGEYAMA!!" Hinata jumped high into the air at an angle. "IM HERE!!"

You watched Kageyama adjust easily despite aiming for Tanaka just a mere second ago.

Hinata swings his hand down only to barely touch the ball. It barely went over the net. "Whew! That's was close. Thought I'd whiffed for a second."

"WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT ALL OF A SUDDEN?!"

"The ball came, Kageyama!! It was there!!"

"Hm?"

"I don't know what it was like for you in middle school, okay?! All I know is that I'm super grateful for any ball that gets put up for me! I'll jump to wherever it is! And I'll hit it, no matter what kind of set it is! So.. whenever you get the ball send it to me!!"

You grinned at the new alliance forming right before your eyes. This could possibly evolve into something much, much greater...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:1176