21. Go, Team Karasuno

Ukai furrows his eyebrows as he watches Hinata and Kageyama.

"Sensei. Those two."

"Hm? Do you mean Hinata and Kageyama?"

"Yeah. They from the same middle school? Wait, it has to be earlier. The same elementary school then?"

"Oh no. They met at the beginning of this very semester. At first they didn't hit it off at all. In fact, I hear it was pretty rough."

"You could say that again," you mumble.

"Ukai-kun?"

"Now that was cold."

You and Takeda look at him weirdly.

The game continued, the score 20 to 18 for the municipal team.

It was Shimada's turn to serve and your eyes widen a little as he does a jump float.

Hinata got ready to receive it only for the ball to swerve at the last second. He tries to save it and ends up falling on his face.

"Hmmm? What was that? It didn't seem like a particularly powerful serve from here, but..."

"It's called a jump float serve," you chime in.

"You can do it without the jump, just from a standing position. The point is to hit the ball so it has no spin. That way when it's in the air it'll wobble erratically, curving or dipping unpredictably." Ukai says. Which was partly wrong. If you work long enough with jump floats, their movements become predictable. It's all about watching the ball and being adaptive. Quick reflexes help.

Kiyoko had noticed your growing interest in the sport. Of course, you'd always been animate and involved, but lately you'd been handling the balls a lot more, even demonstrating or giving tips. She smiles, hoping your passion of playing volleyball was finally coming back.

Shimada serves again, gaining the fourth point in a row. The municipal team was at match point, the other sitting at 18.

"Time to wrap this up!" Shimada says as he serves for the fifth time.

It heads for Daichi, swerving at the last minute. The captain moves with it, bumping it up into the air and towards Kageyama.

"You won't get past us this time, shorty!" They jump to block Hinata only for Tanaka to get the ball.

"Hi there!! Didja miss me?!" He yells as he spikes the ball.

Only for Noya to save it.

"Great save, Yuu!" You cheer.

"Suga!" Asahi calls for the ball.

"Asahi!" Suga says as he sets.

Hinata jumps to block but Asahi spikes through his arms, earning the set and winning the match.

Game over

Set count: 2-0

Winner: Karasuno Municipal Team

"Aaaugh!! Hinata, I'm sorry, bro! I was totally free and clear on that hit too!"

"N-no, that's okay."

"Still, that was pretty awesome. You had them completely hooked! I'm almost kinda jealous. I'll be counting on you next time too, bruh!"

"Y-Yessir!"

"Man! I don't get half of what happened, but ain't the glory days of high school great?"