8. Birth of a Combo

Saturday, 3-on-3 match continued

Karasuno High Gymnasium 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweat poured down the boys faces. Kageyama set the ball to Hinata's waiting hand. When it connected, it made a bam! It was sent straight for Tadashi, bouncing off his arms and flying off to the side.

"Again! They did it again! That's amazing! They came back from behind too!"

"One more point and they win the set!" You say, looking at the scoreboard.

Set 1

24-23

Kageyama/Hinata vs. Tsukishima/Yamaguchi

"He's setting faster. His accuracy is quickly increasing too," Suga says, bewildered at the sheer talent Kageyama had.

"Woo-hoo! Yeah!!" Hinata runs up to you and show you his red hand. "It worked again!! I spiked it!!"

You smiled and grabbed his hand. "Does that not hurt?"

He tilts his head. "When it hurts, you know you hit it good," he says, confused.

"Ah.." you didn't really understand. Lifting up his hand, you kiss his palm and pat his head. "Don't hurt yourself too bad then, I guess."

Hinata turns red and nods, mechanically going back to his spot, looking very unnatural and stiff.

The game resumed. Hinata didn't make eye contact with you, so you knew it was a decoy. You watched as Tsukishima got baited. "Don't think you'll get them past me forever!!" You smiled as Tanaka jumped for the ball.

"COME TO PAPA!!" He slams it down onto the court, zinging it right past Tadashi and winning the set.

"Well, ya little punk, Tsukishima?! Wha'choo think of that, huh?! Toldja were we're gonna trash yer butt! You want s'more of dat?! Well?!" Tanaka yells as he flips Tsukishima off.

Hinata peeks out from beside Tanaka, mimicking his upperclassman. "Yeah! You want some more?!"

"Hey, Tanaka," Suga yells. "How come you're the one who's doing all the crowing?"

"Huh? Um!"

"Yeah! You're only getting to spike it thanks for that first years setting!"

"Dial back the attitude!"

"Baldy!"

"Hey!! There were some regular insults mixed in there!!"

You chuckle into your hand.

"To be brutally honest.. if they don't find some way to stop Hinata and Kageyama's quick set, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi are done for. They just don't have that offensive firepower to counter."

"Let's do this!!" Tanaka yells.

"Woo!" You cheer, making Hinata beam and give you a thumbs up.

Set 2

Start

You watched at the points racked up. Tadashi got blocked by Kageyama, Hinata got hit in the face again, Tsukishima finally got serious and threw off his sweater. Hinata spiked, giving his team set point.

Suga was watching Kageyama with a worried expression.

"Kageyama is stupidly impressive, but that super accurate setting looks like it takes a big toll."