43. Aces and Heroes

Noya froze. He saw the ball falling as if it was in slow motion. He couldn't move. He couldn't make it in time. Come on, Noya! Move!

His hand twitched.

The ball was inches away from the ground.

At the last possible second, he lunged to the side, kicking his foot out and putting it in between the ball and the floor.

"HE USED HIS FOOT?!" You yell, and you would've jumped up again if it weren't for Kiyoko holding you down by your jacket sleeve.

"Unbelievable.." Ukai says as Takeda stares at the court with the funniest face I've ever seen him make.

"AGAIN!!" Suga, Hinata, Noya, you, and Asahi all yell.

You sat on the edge of your seat, leg bouncing in anticipation as Asahi starts his approach again.

Kageyama moved under the ball, thinking hard and fast about who to send it to.

"AGAIN!!" Suga yells, startling Kageyama. "DO IT AGAIN!!"

"UNTIL IT WORKS!" Asahi shouts, hoping Kageyama trusts him enough to send that last point home.

Kageyama remember Suga's words.

Asahi's favorite set is one that's a little high...

"And a little out from the net," he mumbles under his breath as he jumps, setting the ball precisely how man bun likes it. (ChOp cHoP mAn bUn)

"Huh?" Takeda looks at you and Kiyoko then at Ukai. "I thought Kageyama-kun would try something trickier..."

"No, this is good," you say. "This is the best set he could've chosen for Asahi."

"ASAHI! GO!" Suga yells passionately.

"PUNCH IT THROUGH, ASAHI!" The team dad says.

With the parent duo's enthusiasm rubbing off on you, you stand up too. "YOU CAN DO IT!"

The whole hearted encouragement Asahi heard fueled his jump. He felt so confident in the moment, his form perfect as he got ready to spike the ball. He would make this point.

WHAM

His hand connected with the ball, the sound seemingly magnified as everyone waited with baited breath.

The ball hit Futakuchi and Aone's fingertips.

You and Kiyoko grab each other's hands, watching the ball go to the side, rolling across the net as it teetered back and forth.

It tilted and finally, finally, fell.

You watched Futakuchi desperately dash towards the falling volleyball, attempting to catch it before it hit their side of the court.

He dived, his hand centimeters away from where the ball bounced on the gym floor.

The whistle blew, signaling victory for Karasuno.

You inhale sharply, relief flooding through you.

"YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!" The team cheers.

You and Kiyoko get caught up in the excitement and cheer too, sharing a tight hug.

Game Over

Set Count 2-0

25-19
25-22

Winner: Karasuno

"WHOOO!!" Tanaka and Noya yell in unison, arms up as they ran their way towards you.