18. Honest Feelings

(K so y/n is pretty absent in this chapter. If you don't care/already know what happens with the characters development in the show or manga, then scroll down to where you see 💕💕💕. That's when Mc comes back in and cute shit happens bwahaha)

"We have a practical game against them at the end of the golden week training camp."

"GEH!"

"Hey! What do you mean, 'geh?'"

Asahi bolts, attempting to climb over the railing.

"Don't run away from me!"

"But you're scary when you're mad!"

"I'm not mad at you!"

...

"You heard, right? The Nekoma is coming here. Well... I guess to us, Nekoma is just some school we hear about in old stories. It's not like either of our teams has any real connection now. But I can't deny it is a little exciting to know we're the ones who get to play the first match with them in years."

"But... I don't deserve to show my face anymore. Not to Sugawara... and not to Nishinoya."

"Sheesh! Seriously, Azumane. For such a big guy, you really are a wuss. Could you and Nishinoya be any more opposites?"

"Um, could you please not be that blunt?"

"Quit worrying so much. Suga's over it, of course. Even Nishinoya's fine! Unlike you, both of them are the considerate and forgiving types."

"Weren't you supposed to be the generally nice to everyone character?"

"To everyone... except you. You don't count. Because you're a wuss. Yeah, you've skipped practice for over a month and things might be a little awkward between everybody right now. But... y'know? None of that matters. If you think you might still like volleyball... that's reason enough for you to come back. Oh. And one more thing. One of our new rookies has big dreams about being an ace someday."

Asahi stares at his hand again. Daichi punches him in the stomach and stomps off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sakanoshita Market
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"La dee da dee.. hm hm hmm. La dum dee— DWAH?!" Ukai turns around and screams upon seeing Takeda peeking through the window, his cigarette flying out of his mouth. "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?!" He yells, pulling open the sliding glass door.

"Erm! I-I'm sorry. I was just checking to see if there were customers inside..."

"Again with the coach stuff."

"Yes..."

"Listen. I was never a particularly talented player back in school. I did like playing though. I still like to play. Enough that I put together Karasuno's municipal team even. Coaches are stuck in the sidelines. That frustrates me to no end."

"Oh..."

"And I don't wanna go back to that gym!"

"What?! Do you have bad memories of the place..?"

"No. Just the opposite! My whole teenage life was in that building."

"Then why...?"

"The gym, the clubroom... even if all those places are exactly the way they were they're a space— an atmosphere— I just can't go back to."