19. Guardian Deity

K so this is multiple manga chapters rolled into one chapter because I skipped over a bunch of inner thoughts and flashbacks. I'm putting the chapter names because I like being a little bit organized so don't pay attention to them lmao.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You watched the game with Kiyoko, scribbling down notes since it was your turn. She had the water bottles ready and kept her knee pressed against yours.

This was an ongoing thing you noticed. You two were almost always constantly touching the more your friendship grew.

You watched Suga set the ball for Takinoue who slammed it down on the other side of the court.

"Yeah! Not bad, not bad! Nice set." Takinoue praises.

"Thank you!" Suga beams.

"Ooh!! Sugawara-san's quick set is awesome!" Hinata sparkles.

"Well suga is a pretty darn good setter, you know!" Daichi brags.

"Awesome set, Suga-san!" Noya yells.

"Thanks! But it's more like the municipal team guys are just that good at synching up with me. You can tell they've been playing for a long time. My setting could still use improvement. But... I have to keep using fast attacks and make sure to set up an aggressive strategy. Otherwise this will turn into just another game where I dump all the weight on the ace."

"Suga-san! You have gotten even more awesome than before!"

"Huh? R-really? You think so? Wow, Nishinoya. It makes me happy to hear that from you."

You looked over at Asahi. The poor man looked lost, like he felt like he didn't belong.

Hinata spikes the ball with lightening fast movements. You giggle at Ukai's reaction.

"I do." Asahi randomly says.

Noya looks at him. "Huh?"

"No matter how many times I get stuffed.. I do want to keep trying. I do want to spike it again.

Noya's eyes widen. "That's good. Thats all I wanted to hear." He exhales and focuses on the game.

Hinata serves and its bounces off the top of the net. Municipal team receives it easily. One of the guys hits it up into the air.

"Hey, Mr. Ponytail! Just send it over!"

You lean forward slightly, biting your lip. Would Asahi spike it?

Asahi runs and jumps, spiking the ball. Kageyama, Tsukishima, and Tanaka block him, sending the ball down. Asahi furrows his eyebrows in frustration.

"Just once more!! Call for the ball just one more time ace!!"

Your jaw drops as Noya slides on the ground, the ball bouncing off his hands. You stand up, the notebook falling the floor. "SINCE WHEN COULD YOU DO THAT!!"

Kiyoko bends over and picks the notebook up.

Setting for the Ace

Suga runs to cover for the ball.

"Sugawara!! Do it again!!" Kageyama yells. "Keep doing it until it works!!"

Suga internally debates between the spikers. He glances over at Shimada and Asahi inhaled sharply.

"SUGAAAAAAAAAA!!" Asahi shouts, raising his arm. "One more!!"