27. Rivals!

Again, Kageyama thought. Put the ball up so that when Hinata reaches the top of his jump it's sitting right there, right at the highest point of his arms arc. Give him just enough time to aim... and then swing!!

You winced as Hinata misses, the ball floating to the ground. Daichi runs forward and saves the ball, gritting his teeth as he launched it over.

Inuoka dives for the ball, landing at a weird angle but keeping the ball in play. "Hngrrrr!!" He grunts.

"Good one, Inuoka!" You cheer from beside Suga and the others. (You had decided to come back to your own team now.)

Noya snaps his head at you. "Just who are you cheering for!!" He screeches.

"...both?"

"Kenma, cover!!"

"Tora." Kenma says, bumping the ball up.

"Bring it!!" He yells.

"Here we go, Hinata!!" Tanaka says. "Tighten up your gut and concentrate all your 'oh no you don't' willpower into your hands!"

Daichi, Tanaka, and Hinata squat down as Yamamoto runs up to the net. The three of them jump, triple blocking him.

"Yeah!!" Tanaka cheers.

"Dammit!!"

However, Kai dives in for a receive, hitting the ball back into the air.

"Man, the invisibles on both sides sure do some good work." Shimada comments.

"Kai-san, great save!" Inuoka cheers.

"Nice," says Kenma, glancing over at you.

"Yeah, they may not stand out, but it's because guys like them keep everyone together and keep the ball alive that we get good games," Takinoue adds.

"Kenma!! Give it to me again, bruh!!"

"'Kay." Kenma bumps the ball into the air again.

"Even if everybody says I've only got average strength.. I am still Nekoma's ace!!" Yamamoto smashes the ball through Tanaka's arms. It flies into the back and bounces off the ground with a loud thump.

"Yeeeeaaaaah!!" Taketora yells.

"Good one, Yamamoto!!" You grin, giving him a big thumbs up. The ace clenched the fabric of his shirt over his chest, swelling with pride while his whole face turned red.

"Wow! Taketora-san is even more fired up than usual," Shibayama says.

"That he is. Maybe it's because there's someone similar to him on the karasuno team? Or perhaps he's getting caught up in the back and forth going on between Inuoka and their number ten." Nekomata says. Well, there was a third option, the coach thought as he glanced over at you.

"Hinata-kun and Kageyama-kun are really having trouble getting their quick to come together," Takeda says.

"Up until now, their freak quick has been all about Kageyama matching up to Hinata's swing perfectly. But what they're trying to do now is a normal quick set. Hinata needs to improve on his hitting skills." Ukai says. "The only way they're going to get it down is by the two of them practicing it together over and over again until it becomes muscle memory. But the more they train, the better they get. One day, they're going to be able to switch it up, using the freak quick and the normal quick whenever they want. When that comes, they'll no longer be a monster and his club. They'll be one monster... and another monster."

Nekoma was in the lead at 17 to 13, with Kenma up the serve. He pinpoints it directly at Hinata, the ball being a little too high for an underhand dig and a little too low for an overhand pass.

Confused, Hinata ends up basically chest bumping the ball. Noya passes it up into the air, calling out Tanaka's name.

"When were in a tight spot and we need to make it count, Asahi-san ain't the only one you can go to! There's me too!" Tanaka yells as he spikes the ball into the block.

Tanaka and Noya bend down on one knee, pumping their fists and cheering.

It was Tanaka's serve and Hinata was now up in the front.

"Hinata," Daichi says. "Kageyama warned you not to get too hotheaded, right? That's good advice. Calm down and keep your eyes open, okay?"

"Yessir!"

Tanaka serves and Fukunaga receives it, arcing it directly toward Kenma. The pudding haired boy watches the ball fall.

Kai runs toward the net, acting as a decoy, while Inuoka runs from the other side.

Hinata almost gets baited but succeeds in deflecting Inuoka's spike. And then, once his feet were barely touching the ground, he dashes to the other side of the net, Inuoka a hair behind him. They both jump and Hinata angles his wrist angle, curving the ball past number seven and sending it to the floor.

"Yeah!!" You cheer. "That's my baby!!"

Hinata beams at you, then turns his attention back to the game. "Again!!" Him and Inuoka yell at the same time.

"Come on, guys! We can't let them hog all the glory!" Noya shouts.

"Yeah," Asahi agrees.

Suga, who decided to take FULL advantage of sideline time, was snuggled securely in your arms, his back pressed against your chest. He grinned somewhat evilly at his teammates.

Looking over, you see Tadashi looking a little down. Moving Suga to one side, you throw an arm around him and bring him in for a hug, ruffling his hair. The third and first year practically melted at the attention they were getting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:882

LSNDKDJDJD IM SORRY WHAT? I LEAVE FOR A BIT AND SUDDENLY WE HAVE 3.1K VIEWS?? Bro, that's fucking crazy. Thanks for reading!! If you would like to read a version up to date (it's currently at 52 chapters I believe?) then lmk in the comments here and I'll give you guys the link to it. I think I mentioned this before, but the up to date version is on my quotev account lmao. Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Have a good day/night <3