35. The Return

You were sitting on the bench with Kiyoko, watching the boys line up for the greeting. Eyes bore into the back of your head but you refused to look back, knowing that it was probably Oikawa (more like the entirety of the Aoba Johsai team).

"Thank you for the game!!" The two teams shouted before walking forward and shaking hands under the net.

"Listen up!" Ukai says, standing up and waiting for the others to gather round. You stand up, along with Kiyoko and Takeda, and join the others. "At the start of the first game of the tournament, everybody is jittery! Nothings going to be perfect right off the bat!

"The question is who can shake off their nerves and get into a rhythm first! First thing's first, go out there and slam that first point home! Grab the momentum and swing it our way!"

"Yes coach!"

Your attention was grabbed by Kiyoko tugging on the hem of your jacket. She points up to the stands, where Oikawa is yet again hanging halfway over the railing and waving at you frantically.

An irk mark appears on your forehead. You sarcastically blow him a kiss.

Nearby, a group a girl start squealing and squee-ing, taking pictures and screaming your name along with Oikawa's.

Up in the stands, Kindaichi and another teammate were talking, completely ignoring the third years. (Oikawa was currently being shaken violently by Iwaizumi after fainting. Iwa was irritated -and jealous but he won't admit it - and took out his anger by shaking his best friend back and forth)

"The other guys look totally confused!" The teammate says (there's no record of his name so uh... his name is "teammate" now)

"Not surprising, given they've got him in the position meant for tall guys," Kindaichi says, referring to Hinata. "Anybody who underestimated him is in for a world of hurt."

"Wah ha ha! You would know too!"

"That was then. Next time, I swear I'll shut him down."

"Bring it on!" Hinata shouts from the court.

Round 1

Set 1

Start!

Tokonami serves and Asahi receives. Kageyama runs up under the ball, his mind working at a fast speed.

First shot, he thought, who to use? Someone to intimidate the opponent and raise our own morale. Yeah, for the first point of the game, the best one is him!

He sets the ball to Tanaka, who slams it down through the blockers arms and successfully scores the first point.

"YEAAAH!!" He cheers.

"WOOO!!" Noya yells.

"Yaay!" Hinata joins in, throwing his hands up. (Ksjdks side note, his little cheer is so soft and cute in the manga compared to how Tanaka and noya are yelling like JSJFJDJF. Sorry.. I just think that's super adorable)

"WOO! That's it baby!!" You cheer, pointing at Tanaka.

Tanaka's chest swells with pride and he shouts again.

"Yeah! Tanaka, nice..." Daichi trails off as Noya starts screaming too. "...spike..."

"Shut up!! That's enough!!" The two parents of the team yell simultaneously.

You sweat drop as karasuno gets a penalty. Kiyoko giggles softly. "They sure are lively today."

"When are those two never not lively," you chuckle, gently pushing her shoulder. You two silently have a shoving match (neither of you really used any force) and continued watching the game. Both of you had stupid smiles on your faces as you tried not to laugh at each other.

Tanaka served and number twelve received. The ball went to Ikejiri, who jumped up to spike it.

Daichi jumps to block and Ikejiri hits the ball. It bounces off of Daichi's hand and heads to the floor.

Noya "skrr's" (no joke that's the sound effect) into the path of the ball and bumps it up.

It arcs above the net but Noya still seemed dissatisfied with the pass. Asahi runs up to the net to get the last touch, facing a triple block. But of course, they were no match for the ace and the ball went straight to the floor, bouncing off and going over their heads.

"Whoa," Kindaichi says, "now that's power!"

Noya and Hinata throw their arms up. "Asahi-saaan!!" They cheer, grinning. (Skfjdjf this chapter has some really cute images like wth)

Meanwhile, Asahi's heart of glass was pierced by many comments from the audience. He refuses to let me write them down.

"Hah! Check out the power we have on the left side!" Ukai says. "But be careful... those guys aren't our only weapons."

You look over at Hinata, smirking. Although, your smirk falters into a soft smile as you see the little tangerine quivering with excitement.

Tanaka served Tokonami received. Hinata and Kageyama make eye contact before moving into action.

The ball was falling down towards Kageyama while Hinata ran toward the net, looking like a crow about to take flight. He jumped into the air and spiked the set, a hush falling over the crowd.

"He flew..." some rando in the crowd said.

"Behold," you mumbled with a smirk, looking back and making eye contact with Oikawa. "Karasuno has risen once again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:846