2: Arrival at America

The ferry ride was long, boring and wet. Not a lot of children were on board so Nico and Bianca had to keep themselves entertained by their means. They've been afloat and sailing to America for around 10 days.

"I spy, something blue!"

"Is it the ocean?" Guessed Bianca, knowing fully well that her little brother loved the ocean.

"Yeah... how do you always guess that!" He said, an admiring look in his eyes for his sister. "Well, you've told me how much you love the ocean, and we're in the middle of it!" She said giving her little brother a cheeky grin.

"No fair!" Nico pouted. "Well, it's my turn. I spy, something green." Bianca said, looking at something in the distance. "Uh... Oh! Your beret!" He said, giving an exaggerated point to her beret.

"Nope!"

"Then what?" He asked, curiosity apparent in his voice. "Over there!" She pointed towards a statue.

The statue, to Nico, seemed like a Mythomagic figurine built as tall as the sky. To Bianca, it was a beautiful landmark. To all of the immigrants on the boat, it meant they've arrived in American waters.

"Mi angelos! Come here!" Yelled their mother. They backed away from the railings and ran around the other immigrants to their mother. "Mama, what is the big statue for?" Asked Nico.

"That, means that we are where your papa wants us to be." Bianca's eyes widened. "We're in America?" She said softly. The boat shook slightly, scaring the siblings but making everyone else look up and start shuffling their stuff.

"Mama, what's happening?" Nico asked, scared and being pushed around by the crowd. "Bianca, hold on to your brother and don't let go." Their mother said, standing up as well, all their luggage carried by the respective Di Angelos.

The sudden rush of people to get to the dock kept knocking Nico around, nearly making him lose the grasp he had on his sister. "Nico! Don't let go remember!" His sister yelled back at him.

He remembered. He remembered which is why he held onto his sister tight. He held on even tighter when they got to the dock.

But the Fates had a few plans.

The moment the reached the dock, Nico's coat ripped, revealing one of his Mythomagic figurines, Persephone, and letting it tumble to the ground. Nico, forgetting what his mother told him to do, let go of his sister in search of one of his prized figurines.

"Nico!" Yelled Bianca, but her voice could barely be heard over the noise at the docks.

"Where is it.." Nico mumbled to himself. After a short while, he found his figurine, surprisingly undamaged by the amount of foot traffic that should've trampled it. "I should've just put it in my pouch..." He mumbled, taking out a worn out leather pouch and placing it in gently.

After putting back his pouch, he remembered. "Bianca?" He whispered, scared. He forgot. "Bianca?!" He forgot. "Bianca!" He forgot! He started to tear up, running in a direction he thought he came from.

He kept running, the dock less busy now, and he bumped into someone. "Ow! Watch it!" Said the person, turning around to see a crying 6-year-old.

The kid didn't look familiar, but the sight sure was, It was basically his first encounter with his best friend.

"Hey... I'm sorry I yelled, are you lost?" He answered in a foreign language, unfamiliar to the boy. "Uh, I'm Bucky, what's your name?" He said softly, trying to comfort the boy.

The boy sniffled before saying, "Nico..." in a soft voice, barely audible. "Okay, let's go to the edge of the dock and look for anyone calling your name, alright?" Bucky said, holding the shoulders of the kid softly, making him look up.

Nico nodded, he liked the stranger. He didn't seem bad. Bucky held out his hand, confusing him a bit. "You're gonna have to hold my hand so you don't get lost again."

Very gingerly, Nico put his hand in the not-so-stranger's extended one and together they left for the dock in search of Nico's family.

"Nico! Nico where are you!" Bianca yelled hoarsely. She and her mother are at the edge of the docks, her mother watching their luggage and Bianca in search for her little brother. It's been an hour since Nico's been lost.

Bianca kept on thinking that it was her fault. She was the one who let go. "Nico! Nico!" She kept yelling, hoping for an answer in response. "Bianca!" She turned towards her name, and she saw a bundle of black and brown running towards her and hugging her tightly.

"Nico!" She returned the hug, just as tight. "I thought I lost you... It was my fault I'm sorry I let go."

"It was mine, I dropped Persephone. It wasn't because you let go." Nico said, although muffled by Bianca's jacket.

"Wait! I forgot to thank Bucky!" Said Nico, unlatching himself from his sister and looking around. "Who?" Asked Bianca, unfamiliar to the name.

"Oh, he's gone..."

"Who are you talking about?" Nico just looked at her and grinned. "My friend!" Bianca just shook her head and tugged lightly on his hand. "We have to go, Mama's been worried sick."

"Mi angelos! Nico you're alright!" Maria said, hugging the child that ran at her tightly. "I'm sorry I forgot Mama..." Nico mumbled into his mother's dress.

"It's alright angelo, What matters is that you found us again." She said, rubbing the back of her child.

"Uh ma'am? I hope I'm not disturbin' anythin' but I'm here to take you to your new home, his orders." Said the cabbie waiting for them, who knows how long he stood there watching family drama go down.

"Yes, we should be going. Bianca, help me put the luggage in the trunk." Their mother said, letting go of Nico and starting to heave over luggage to the trunk.

"I got this ma'am just sit in the car and wait." Said the cabbie, tipping his hat and taking the luggage from Mrs. Di Angelo's hands to the trunk without any visible struggle. "Oh... If that's so then we shall wait in the cab." She said in a thick Italian accent.

"Mama, can I sit by the window?" Asked Bianca, skipping towards the cab. "Yes you can mi angelo." She smiled, opening the cab door and siding very close to the car window. Nico gave a small giggle, then proceeded to side over to his sister, looking intently out the window like her.

Maria, chuckling at her children's antics, sat down beside them. When she went to close the door, to her surprise, it was already shut. The cabbie once again, gave a tip of his hat and strode over to the driver's seat.

"So where we off to ma'am?" The cabbie asked, looking in the rearview mirror. "To Brooklyn please, you know where."

Word count: 1154

:,) still so short