Memory 34: The Silent Man

"You're flinching again," said the woman.

"I don't pay attention to it," replied Kaminaro.

"You're a sick man," the woman continued, "I can't believe you'd do it again. Have you no control? Is this really the man I married?"

"Tomiko please," explained Kaminaro, waving his hands around, "I didn't mean to do it."

"Just because you've been abused in your own childhood doesn't mean that you get to force your experiences onto your own daughter."

"I promise..." mumbled Kaminaro, "I'll change. I really will."

"You've said that last time. Apologize to your daughter."

Kaminaro walked over to the bedroom, and knocked on the door. Only silence followed until he knocked again.

"Go away."

Kaminaro bowed his head shamefully, knowing his conditions were only worsening.

Kaminaro typed in his computer desk. His job paid very little, but it was one of the few jobs that he could manage to obtain with his education. Regardless, it was a job that tired him out greatly.

Ring ring!

Kaminaro picked up the phone, "Hello?"

"We're giving you a second chance. Your only chance. Please.. as your wife.. can you please do your best to keep it under control? Just for me?"

"I'll.. I'll really do my best! I promise you! I really love you, Tomiko. I'll do anything for you two. I just want to keep the both of you happy."

"I'm sure Marisa would be very thrilled to hear your response. You'd have to put your words into action though. We've already gone through the alternatives of what you can do."

"Yes, I will. Thank you. From this day onward, I'm a changed man. I'll give you that much proof!"

He hurriedly drove home, eager to start his new life, his new chance at becoming a loving father. He was soon near his own home until a car began to back up in their driveway. It was headed straight at Kaminaro's car!

Crash! Badump!

...

"I'm... okay..?" thought Kaminaro, opening his eyes, his hands on the steering wheel.

"I'm... so sorry about that," said the neighbor, "I'm.. so so sorry.. let me call an ambulance!"

"It's fine, it's nothing," smiled Kaminaro, still in a good mood, "Luck is shining down on me. It's a good thing I swerved. My reaction time still doesn't fail me."

"It's not about you...." she mumbled.

Confused, Kaminaro left his car. He probably thought that there was possibly a hit to the side of his car or something. However, upon turning around the corner, he saw the pool of blood, slowly leaking out.

Marisa Suzumiya.

Papers were thrashed, and chairs were overturned. By the dinner table was Tomiko sobbing, her cries of pain echoing throughout the house. Kaminaro was by the living room, his head bowed down shamefully. He got up and tried to comfort Tomiko, resting his hands on her shoulders.

"Get away!" she yelled in anger and pain, "You're a monster! You murderer!"

"Please Tomiko.." whimpered Kaminaro, "I'm so sorry!"

Tomiko stood up and grabbed a knife from the kitchen. She hung it over her head, waving it towards Kaminaro, who backed away in fear.

"It should have been you!" cried Tomiko, "It should've been you!"

"Tomiko watch out!" yelled Kaminaro.

...

"We tried the best we could," said the doctor, "I'm.. really sorry to tell you this. It's just one mishap after another. I'm really sorry again. Here.. a personal business card for you. It's a new job opening. Maybe it can be a turn in a good direction."

Kaminaro was handed the business card and sighed. He didn't know what to do anymore, but it was clear that he had to keep living. At the funeral, Kaminaro stayed the longest out of anyone else. He didn't like seeing the marked gravestones of his beloved family. They were just too precious for them to be buried six feet under.

So he started digging.

Soon, upon reaching the forest, he laid down the body of Tomiko and Marisa. He apologized multiple times for his failures, and the problems he had caused for them. Soon, Kaminaro felt lonelier and lonelier as he talked in the silent woods. It was all so tempting. So he had unzipped his pants and had his way with their dead bodies.

Kaminaro wiped his sweaty brow after reburying the bodies. He felt like a new man, this new fetish inside him awakening. However, after finishing the reburial, he had noticed a shiny orb by the side of the gravestone. Upon closer inspection, it seemed that he had already broke it, possibly from the weight of the shovel he had used.

Kaminaro didn't realize it by then. Soon he'd find out that he had newfound abilities: abilities that would help him more in achieving his new fetish, and increasing the chances of him coping with his own failures and his family's death.

"Wake up!" yelled Ms. Tomiko.

"I'm already awake," grumbled Kaminaro.

"You're just standing there, Yotsu."

"Isn't that what a guard is supposed to do?"

"You could at least help around the place," mumbled Tomiko, shaking her head.

"Fine," sighed Kaminaro, "What do you have for me?"