𝐨𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER ONE
~Memento.. Mori~
——
Year 2147

Nova looked around at her surroundings while she made her way down to the med bay part of the ark. Nova's father Robert is a guard on the ark who is also very sick but isn't able to get the medicine he needs. So, Nova sneaks out of her room while her dad waits for her on the couch and while her mother sleeps. Nova's mother Layla doesn't know her family does this and thank god for that, Nova knew her mother would go crazy if she found out.

Nova walked into medbay as she was able to unlock the large metal doors with her hair clip. Nova shut the door behind her quietly before taking small silent steps towards all the medicine. She looked through all the rows and there was the medicine her father needed, it was right in the 3rd row. Nova slipped 2 bottles in her jacket pocket and closed the glass door shut. Once she turned around she saw a Ark guard standing before her with his arms crossed.

Nova let out a gasp and her eyes practically bulged out of her head in fear. The guard stepped to her slowly "Empty your pockets now" He ordered and Nova tooks harsh swallow down her throat as her breathing became uneven. Nova pulls out the two bottles of medicine and he snatched them out of her hand and his lips tugged into a smile "Your under arrest for theif, turn around now" he ordered throwing the bottles of medicine across the room.

Tears filled Nova's eyes, she needed to help her dad but she had never been in trouble before. Nova is the girl to keep to herself all she does is read, watch tv, and stay in her room all day. The only friend she had was Harper but she hardly talked to her unless Harper's mom came over to chat with Nova's mom. "Now!" The guard shouted and Nova started taking steps back until she ran into a tray. Nova analyzed the tray, It has a scapel and scissors on it along with a couple alcohol wipes.

'Memento Mori' Those words ran through Nova's mind. It was something her father always said it means 'Remember that you have to die'. Yes, it was a harsh saying but Nova always believed that people die for a reason and some people just have to. Nova slid her hand over the the pair of large silver scissors and gripped them into her palm "I'm sorry..." Nova whispered while the guard furrowed his eyebrows together in obvious confusion.

"Momento... Mori" Nova sighed out as she swung her hand with the scissors and pierced them right into the sides of the guards neck. Nova cried out as she removed the scissors and blood ran down each of her fingers, the guard gasped for air and fell to his knees while covering the hole in his neck that had blood pouring out of it. Blood filled the floor fast getting on the bottom of Nova's leather boots.

Nova tasted her salty tears as they fell to her lips and she started panicking, hands shaking, and heart beating out of her chest as she grabbed a handfull of paper towels trying to clean up all of the blood. The doors of medbay opened and multiple guards walked in then stopped in their tracks when they saw Nova kneeled down in front of the body obviously shaking.

"Stand up now!"

"You're under arrest!"

Nova slowly stood to her feet with her hands in the air as blood dripped off of them. Two guards ran up to her placing her hands behind her back and cuffing them "Wait.. Nova?" One of the guards questioned and Nova could barley breath at this point as she was being dragged out of the medbay into Jaha's office.

"Nova.. Bailey as in Robert Bailey?" Jaha asks after Nova sat there for a couple minutes not saying anything. Nova nods her head "Why did you kill that guard?" Jaha asks for the third time and Nova let out a sigh before wiping her eyes with her forearm since some of the blood was dried up on her hands.

"My dad needs medicine and he asked me to steal it for him a couple months ago.. and this time I got caught so I-- I killed him" Nova confesses poorly before letting out a sob. "So, Robert forced you to do his dirty work" Jaha states switching the story and Nova sniffles lifting her head showing her red eyes "What- No I wasn't forced he asked" Nova states playing her fingers.

"Did you say no at first?" Jaha asks and Nova coughed slightly and sat back in her seat "Yes but--" Nova couldn't get a word out before Jaha was already ordering the other guards to get Robert from his room to be floated. "Wait! Please it was me!" Nova screams as one of the guards stand her up.

"Your too young to be floated and since your father told you do his dirty work he'll go down for it" Jaha says and Nova couldn't believe what she had done. "No! Please!" Nova cried out as she was being dragged out by a guard.

~~

"Nova?" Nova turned her head and saw her mom walk up as her dad was being dragged up to be floated. "Nova tell me you didn't kill anyone" Layla stated and Nova shook her head ashamed as tears fell out of her eyes "Hey.. It's okay Nova" Nova's dad reassured as he was being put in the box.

Nova's mom pulled Nova in for a hug and Nova sobbed into her mom's chest before lifting her head over her mothers light brown hair with dirty blonde ends and looking at her father. "Momento Mori" Robert's last words were before Jaha pressed the button and her father was aired out into space. "I'm so sorry mom.. I'm sorry" Nova cried, face practically wet with tears.

"Momento Vivere" Nova's mom whispered in her ear before Nova was being dragged away.

The guards threw Nova in a cell making her hit the cold hard ground "That's for killing one of our own" One of the young guards said with his hair slicked back and a slightly angry look on his face. The cell door was shut and Nova laid down on the cold cell floor, breathing uneven and guilt washing over her.

'Momento Vivere' Nova's mom's words rang in her ears. It means 'Remember you have to live' it was a saying her mom said so Nova didn't get the wrong idea about dying or to make a nicer version of her father's saying but Nova never liked that saying.

Nova lifted herself up onto her bed and closed her eyes letting her thoughts and memories take over until she fell into a dreamless sleep...

YEAR 2149