𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE
"Jasper!"
——

Clarke opens up the automobile door and everyone stands to their feet. Nova wipes off the dust and cob webs that attached to her pants.

"The fog's cleared. Come on. Let's go. Jasper's waiting" Clarke says as everyone climbs out the automobile and begins walking through the woods to get to Jasper back home.

"Being trapped in a car was.. fun" Nova jokes as she walks beside Clarke. Clarke lets put an exhausted chuckle and nods her head. "We also should have left as soon as the fog cleared" Clarke sighs going back to her guilty stage and Finn walks up joining in on the conversation.

"Even if the fog cleared, we'd never make it back through these woods at night. You were kind of rough on Wells" Finn changes the subjects and Clarke scoffs throwing her head back.

"Hardly".

"He's a pretty straight-up guy. And he loves you. You know that, right? But every time your dad comes up, he won't give you a straight answer. Makes me think he's hiding something" Finn says and Clarke clears her throat. Nova raises her hand and Clarke and Finn look over.

"Can I ask how sure are you that Wells is the one who turned in your dad?" Nova asks and Clarke looks forward with a thinking face on like maybe Wells isn't to blame. Clarke shakes her head releasing her out of her thoughts "A hundred percent. All right? He's the only one I told".

"Is he the only one who knew?".

A scream is heard in the distant. A young, high pitched scream. Nova and the group turn their heads to the scream. "Who was that?" Clarke questions.

While running through the woods Nova and the group spot Charlotte standing there screaming. Nova and the group rushed up behind her and spotted Atom lying on the ground all red and puffy like he got caught in the acid fog. Bellamy stands to his feet and Charolette makes her way over to him and hands him the knife whispering him something.

Bellamy looks over at the hunting party he brought along and waves them off "Go back to camp" Bellamy demands and they walk off. Bellamy then tells Charlotte to leave and she does just that.

"Kill.. me.. Bell..a..my... ple..please".

Clarke approaches Atom and kneels down beside him. Clarke inspects Atom and looks up at Bellamy and shakes her head showing he's not gonna make it.  Bellamy looks down and nods accepting it while Clarke takes a deep breath reaching over and runs her fingers through Atom's hair and begins humming. Nova looks up at Clarke watching how elegant and caring she is. Clarke takes the knife from Bellamy's hand and Bellamy realizes Clarke is going to do what he couldn't. Clarke pierces Atom's neck with the knife and continues to hum.

Nova turns around and looks away, not afraid but upset.

——

It is now night time and Nova and the rest of the group including Bellamy walk through the gate.

"We've gotta get to Jasper. I'll need boiled water to make the medicine" Clarke says and her and Finn leave while Bellamy and Nova haul Atom's body into camp on a gurney.

"Get Clarke whatever she needs" Bellamy orders.

"I better go get this grave dug" Wells says and leaves to start digging Atoms grave. Nova notices Clarke trying to bring Octavia into the drop ship but Octavia ignores and makes her way over to Bellamy and Nova.

"Octavia, just stay there. Please, stay back" Bellamy says begging Octavia doesn't see. Nova looks down not wanting to meet Octavia's eyes.

"Why? Nova, what happened?" Octavia begs as Bellamy holds her back. The siblings have a scuffle before Octavia pushes Bellamy's arm away and approaches Atom. Octavia lifts the jacket off of the body, revealing Atom.

"Atom..".

"There was nothing we could do" Bellamy says but Octavia puts her hand up stopping him "Don't" Octavia pleads as tears fill her eyes and she begins crying. Octavia covers Atom's face with the jacket and stands to her feet walks to Nova.

"Was their really nothing you could do?" Octavia asks and Nova shakes her head "Nothing" Nova looks up at her seeing tears fall down her cheeks. Octavia brings Nova into a hug and sobs into her shoulder.

Bellamy approaches them "O.. O please" Bellamy begs and Octavia pulls away from her hug and pushes Bellamy's arms away and leaves with Nova rushing after her.

——

Octavia finally calmed down and her and Nova made their way into the drop ship to check on Jasper while Clarke gave him the medicine. "I'm really sorry about Atom" Clarke says and Octavia nods her head as she looks down at Jasper and pushes his hair back.

"I guess we're gonna have to get used to people dying down here, aren't we? But not you. You hear me? You're not allowed to die" Octavia says and Nova clears her throat softly looking down at Octavia and Jasper. Nova turns around to leave but feels a hand grab hers. Nova looks down and sees Octavia holding her hand.

"Please stay" Octavia says looking up at Nova with those glossy green eyes. Nova lets a smile appear and stands next to Octavia holding her hand. Finn walks over to Nova and Octavia and shows them the whiskey.

Octavia takes it and takes a sip letting out a cough "Disgusting but I love it" Octavia says wiping the sides of her mouth.

"Can I, uh, get a hit of that?".

"Jasper!" Octavia cries out in excitement. "Let's start with the soft stuff" Monty says making everyone let out a chuckle before he gives him water to drink. "Welcome back, buddy" Finn says and Jasper smiles softly.

"Was that a dream out did I get speared?".

"You'll have a very impressive scar to prove it" Clarke says and Jasper looks down and let's out a small laugh. "My savior" Jasper cheers and Nova laughs. "Thank you for not dying. I don't think I could've taken that today" Clarke says sighing pushing her hair back.

"I'll try not to die tomorrow, too, if that's cool" Jasper jokes causing everyone around to laugh happily.