Daggering Elijah

Athena's POV

It's the day after Tyler left. I'm at the Gilbert lake house, mum thought I needed some time away. While she tried to find my brother. Elena said I could join her and Stefan. So here I am sitting on the couch streaming the strings of a guitar I'd found. "Do you still play?" Elena asks me as she joins me. Stefan is outside on the phone to Damon.

"A little, I haven't played much since I turned. But I play every now and again. It calms me" I tell her. "I even wrote a few songs" I state.

"I'd love to hear them" she tells me.

"They aren't ready for an audience yet" I tell her. "But I promise you and the girls will be the first to hear them" I state. She gives me a smile.

"How about you read my old family journals with me" she suggests.

"Sure, better then doing nothing" I tell her. She hands me one and opens another. "So what's up with you and Stefan? I sense tension" I state.

"He doesn't agree with the decision I'm making" she states.

"What decision?" I ask her.

"Elijah agreed to protect those I care about, he never said anything about me. I knew all along what awaited me" she states.

"So you planned on sacrificing yourself all along?" I demand. "Elena, I just got back. I lost my father, uncle and brother. I'm not losing one of my best friends" I tell her.

"It's my decision" she states. Stefan appears. "Are you still mad?" she asks him.

"Yeah, I'm still mad" he tells her.

"So am I" I add.

"We have a difference of opinion, Stefan. We're not always gonna agree on everything" Elena tells him. I look back at the journal I'd been reading.

"Elena, you've agreed to sacrifice yourself to Klaus. To say that we have a difference of opinion is the understatement of the century" Stefan tells her.

"It's almost as insane what Jonathan Gilbert writes in this journal" I state.

"He kept from the founding families. Stuff that nobody knows. Stuff that...you never told me" Elena tells Stefan. Stefan looks down at what she just read and closes the journal.

"We were, uh...We were angry at the founding families for what they did to Katherine. We wanted revenge. I didn't know about Johnathan Gilbert's ring yet. I didn't know that he would, that he would survive" Stefan states as he sits down.

"He describes you as a monster" Elena tells him.

"That's what I was. I want you to know the truth. But I want you to hear it from me. In the weeks after I became a vampire, I relished in it. I took it to the darkest place I could" Stefan tells her. I block them out focusing on the journal in my hands.

(Time skip)

"He researched the Originals" I state once the other two finished their discussion on Stefan's past. "Yeah, I'm still here" I tell them. "Anyway Jonathan Gilbert was doing research on how to kill originals" I state handing Elena the journal.

"She's right, listen to this" Elena tells Stefan. "The wood from one tree and one tree alone, an ancient white oak would bring death to an Original vampire. When the tree burned, all hope was thought lost" she reads out loud. "But the ash from the tree was saved and witches forged a dagger to which the ash could be bonded. This alchemic bond provides the necessary poison" she continues to read.

Stefan gets up and stands in front of us saying Elena's name. "Do you think this dagger actually exists?" I ask them.

"I know it does" Stefan states. We look up at him shocked. "Because John gave it to Damon" he tells us.

"John gave Damon the weapon that's supposed to kill Elijah? This one?" Elena asks him showing us the drawing of the dagger. Stefan nods his head as I notice a side note.

"It must be brandished by humans alone, for it will bring death to all demons who wield it" I read out loud. Stefan grabs the journal from Elena and looks at it. He quickly grabs out his phone and dials Damon.

"What's wrong?" Elena asks him.

"John's trying to get Damon killed" he tells us. "He's not answering" he adds. He dials Ric's number instead. He managed to get a hold of Ric in time. Elena goes back to reading the journal on originals. While I went to the loo.

I come back to see them looking stressed again. "What happened now?" I ask them.

"Well Alaric daggered Elijah, but took the dagger out" Stefan tells me. Elena hands me the journal. Pointing to a paragraph:

Originals believed in truth and honor. It was forbidden for a vampire to kill another vampire. So, the dagger would take both lives. And as long as the dagger stays in place, the Original, for all intents and purposes, is dead.

"So we have a vengeful original on his way?" I ask them.

"Yes, but we have a plan" Elena states.

"What can I do?" I ask her.

"Nothing, I'll be handling it" Elena states. As Damon appears with an ash covered dagger. He hands it to Elena and we go upstairs. Leaving Stefan with Elena. Eavesdropping on what's happening downstairs. I soon hear Elijah arrive.

"He's here" Stefan tells Elena.

"You have to go. I need to talk to him alone" Elena tells him. "I'm okay. He can't come in the house" she assures him.

"You know, I might not be able to enter this house...But I'm a very patient man. I'll wait you out" Elijah states. I hear Elena open the front door.

"They shouldn't have done what they did" she tells him. I peak out of the window staying hidden from view. Elijah tells her the deal is off. "I'm renegotiating" she states.

"You have nothing left to negotiate with" Elijah tells her.

"I'd like to see you lure Klaus into Mystic Falls after the doppelgänger bleeds to death" Elena says. I go to rush downstairs. But Damon holds me in place giving me a look.

"Stefan won't let you die" Elijah tells her.

"No, he won't. He'll feed me his blood to heal me, and then I'll kill myself and become a vampire, just like Katherine did" Elena tells him. "So unless you want that to happen again, promise me the same as before...promise me...You won't harm anyone that I love. Even if they've harmed you" she tells him.

"I'm sorry, Elena. I'm going to have to call your bluff" Elijah tells her. I soon smell blood and start to fight to get to her. But without a full moon I'm no match for Damon. "Yes. Yes, you can have your deal. Let me heal you" he pleads.

"Give me your word" Elena demands.

"I give you my word" he vows. I soon hear him gasp in shock. Damon lets me go and I rush downstairs to see Stefan feeding Elena his blood. I sigh in relief.

"Little tip. Don't pull the dagger out" Damon states as he joins us.

"Another tip, do more research before using an unknown magical weapon" I snap. "I'm going home, see you all later. I trust you can handle this" I say pointing to Elijah.

"We got it covered" Stefan states. I nod my head and left. I got home to mum already asleep. So I changed into my pjs and did my teeth. Before calling it a night.

A/N

Picture above of Athena.