favorite daughter

I woke up in the middle of the night, suddenly very aware of my surroundings. It was my room, my bedroom. I could see flashing from under the door, the television was on. I checked the clock, 1am.

I quietly tiptoed out of the room, beginning to hear the tv and light snoring. I peered around the doorframe that was missing it's door. Malcom was stretched the full length of the couch, my mum was curled up her head on his chest. I stared for a moment. She was happy.

I pulled the throw off the back of the couch and placed it gently over the sleeping pair, careful not to wake my mum. I turned the TV off, leaving myself in darkness to creep back to bed.

()()()

"You're my favorite daughter." My mum told me as I bit into my sandwich.

"Shh, my thousands of sisters will hear you." I replied, my mouth full.

"I saw you last night." She whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" I asked, we were the only ones in, Malcom had left for work.

"You like Malcom." She smiled to herself. I raised my eyebrows and continued to eat.

"My daughter, likes my boyfriend. I'm telling you, if you had met Malcom before the age of twelve, you would've hated his guts." She nodded, begging to eat her own lunch.

"Probably." I nodded.

"Speaking of boyfriend's..." She looked at me hopefully.

"What?" I asked her, she was always very vague about what she wanted to know.

"I mean, you tell me about him in your letters just like I tell you about Malcom. I don't actually know him, I've met him twice, I think for less than five minutes." She avoided my eyes.

"I think we should all go to dinner somewhere nice." She nodded, I sighed hesitantly.

"Fine, but first you have to talk to him for at least half an hour." I nodded to her, both Ron and I were bad at small talk so he might as well just get the awkwardness out of the way first.

"Okay." She agreed, peeling her orange.

"Oh, I never told you, on new years Malcom is taking me to a lovely hotel. Sorry if you were looking forward to new years with us. Oh! I could ask him if you could come?" My mum got all flustered.

"No, it's fine. You two have a good  time." I nodded, she smiled back at me unaware of quite how happy the little trip would make her.

A/n

It's just a little chapter but its 2am and I'm not Shakespeare, you know. I'm going to bed...maybe.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

-A