Part Two - Chapter Five: Fernando's First Patronage

Fernando took a deep breath as he smoothed out his suit, he had been a little surprised when Vanessa had come to him with this assignment but he knew that his wife had given it to him for a reason.

It had been a couple of weeks since the funeral and things were slowly starting to return to normal for the royal family; Fernando doubted that they would have peace for long with the government wanting coronation details officially nailed down.

Jorge hovered close by making Fernando a little more reassured, he was alone on his own for this since Vanessa was back at home with Bojan while Nora had returned to school.

“Your Majesty,” a man greeted stepping forward nervously, it was his first day on the job and he was so nervous; he wasn’t sure how to react to the King Consort but he knew that he was going to have to get used to it.

Fernando blinked staring at the younger man, he didn’t know who he was but he was clearly not anything to do with the charity that he had come to visit.

“I’m sorry who are you?” Fernando asked politely, he was a little on edge about the fact that he could become patron of the small charity that he was visiting and Vanessa was hopeful that he would like it.

The man stared at Fernando for a moment before he started to splutter, he had no idea what he was doing and he was frightened he would lose his new job.

“Cameron Ashton… you’re personal assistant,” the man introduced himself awkwardly, he was sure someone should have told Fernando that he was coming; it had taken a while for them to fill the position that had been open since Fernando had married Vanessa.

Fernando nodded his head slowly, he recalled Anoushka saying something about him getting his own assistant but he had completely forgotten about that.

***

“Your Majesty it’s wonderful to have you here,” the director of the charity greeted moving to shake Fernando’s hand, he was thrilled with the idea of having the King consort as the patron of his charity.

Fernando smiled, he had read over the details that he had been given about the charity and he was impressed with what he had read; it was a small sports charity that focused on underprivileged children in the local area and kept them off the streets.

“It’s good to be here,” Fernando replied as the director slowly started to show her around the building where the charity was based; he could see why Vanessa had thought that he would like this one.

Fernando still loved football and still watched his former team-mates at Liverpool and Atletico Madrid; they were the teams that stayed close to his heart now that he had retired completely.

The director talked Fernando through what the charity did and how they worked, it wasn’t much but they did their best with limited funds; they worked hard to get the children involved and that was what mattered.

Fernando nodded his head along with what was being said, he wanted to help people and here would be a good place to start; if he did become patron then the charity would get funds to help them.

Cameron followed quietly behind, he was only here to aid Fernando if he needed any help and he knew that he didn’t want to get under his boss’s feet; he was going to have to get used to the fact that he was now working as the personal assistant of a King Consort instead of a Prince.

Everything had changed for the royal family and it wasn’t going to be changing back anytime soon; there was already talk of the coronation and another royal wedding taking place in April, it would be a busy time.

Fernando smiled watching the children play a game of football, he remembered what that was like at their age and he knew that he wouldn’t trade anything for what had happened in his life.

Everything had worked out so well for him and he cherished the memories that he had of playing football, he didn’t miss the pressure of the matches but he did deep down miss the fans that had supported him.

“You’re Fernando Torres,” a boy announced in awe as he came to a stop and stared at Fernando, he blinked surprised for a moment that someone like him was in their community centre.

Fernando nodded his head, it never surprised him that people still recognised him as a footballer; he had retired over a year ago now and he was still getting used to everything that had changed after he had married Vanessa.

“Now boys this is His Majesty the King Consort,” the director tried to correct, he didn’t want anyone showing the charity up just because they were having a former footballer to see them.

Fernando was still married to Vanessa and she was now the Queen of Andorra, she would be crowned in a few months and the country would have a reason to celebrate.

“Fernando’s fine,” Fernando insisted, it didn’t feel right to have the children calling him titles; he didn’t care what the director or staff called him, he was still Fernando Torres no matter who he had married.

The director blinked shocked at what Fernando had said, he had no idea what to say and he had been sure that Fernando would want everyone to call him by title.

“Any chance I could play?” Fernando asked shrugging off his jacket, he smiled handing it to Cameron sure that a game wouldn’t hurt; he missed playing and Bojan was still too young to play.

***

Vanessa looked up from what she was doing as she heard Fernando returning home, she was surprised that he had been gone so long and she hoped that it was a good sign; she had spent the day speaking with the prime minister.

Nora had come home from school about an hour ago and was now working on her homework, she was in her room with Biscuit who had followed her after she had come home.

“Hola,” Vanessa greeted noticing the smile on her husband’s face, she guessed that it had been a good day; she had been a little worried about his first trip alone.

Fernando wrapped his arms around Vanessa and kissed her, he had loved the charity that she had given him and she knew him so well; he had agreed to be the patron since he wanted to help.

“I take it went well then,” Vanessa teased pulling back from her husband, she had news to tell him about the coronation but she was sure that it could wait a while.

Fernando nodded his head, he kissed Vanessa again happy about what he had decided to do; he wanted to help people and this was a good start for him, he couldn’t imagine what else he could do for the people.

“Gracias,” Fernando murmured holding Vanessa close, he adored his wife and he knew that she wouldn’t do anything that he didn’t like; there was still so much to sort out and he was going to have to get used to sharing her again.

Vanessa shook her head, she knew how important it was for Fernando to help those who needed it; it was the reason that she had gone for a sports related charity since she knew how much he missed playing football.

Fernando looked down at Vanessa, he guessed that her meeting with the prime minister had worked out a date for her coronation; he wasn’t going to rush her into discussing the details yet.