Part One - Chapter Five: Heading to Andorra

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Vanessa asked watching their suitcases being loaded onto the plane, she turned to her boyfriend knowing that he had no idea what he was letting himself in for.

Fernando had spent the last couple of days doing as much research as he could on royalty and what to expect when it came to being seen with Vanessa in her home country.

Vanessa had done her best to aid him but she truly didn’t know what to expect when it came to being royalty; as soon as he was seen with her it would be all over the papers around the world.

“I’m sure… I need to be there for you and the baby,” Fernando whispered softly, he kissed Vanessa softly knowing that he wouldn’t change anything about what he was going to do.

The couple were taking the royal private jet to Andorra and Fernando was a little nervous about what to expect when they landed.

Vanessa chewed on her lip, she wasn’t sure what was going to happen and she hoped that her father wouldn’t cause them any trouble when he met Fernando for the first time.

“You look beautiful,” Fernando said admiring the blue rouched side pencil dress paired with black strappy stiletto sandals; he wasn’t used to seeing her dressed like this and he knew that he was going to have to get used to it.

Vanessa blushed looking away, she couldn’t believe that he was coming with her to Andorra to meet her family and to support her when she announced that she was expecting their first child.

“It’ll be fine,” Fernando reassured her, he had no idea what to expect when they arrived in Andorra, it was going to be a difficult and he had done a lot of reading to learn what to expect as a non-royal.

***

“How long is the flight?” Fernando asked settling into his chair, he was nervous and he doubted that he would relax until they had landed; he wanted things to go well and he hoped that Vanessa’s father would like her.

Vanessa smiled softly, she was five weeks pregnant and she hoped that everything would go well; she had a feeling that it was going to be a long visit.

“Five and a half hours,” Vanessa mused softly, it was a long trip and her home land lay close to Ajaccio and she loved the warmth that she got when she was back on Andorran soil.

Fernando grumbled a little, he hated long flights and it was one of the downsides to being a footballer; he leaned back in his seat wearing a suit that made him feel a little stuffy.

“So what should I expect when we land?” Fernando asked brushing his fingers through his hair, he couldn’t believe that this was happening and he wanted to know what to expect.

Vanessa chuckled softly and watched her boyfriend, she could see that he was nervous and she didn’t blame him; they deserved some peace before they arrived in Andorra.

“Lots of paparazzi, people waving flags… that sort of thing, it’s a big deal for me to come home after four years,” Vanessa said shrugging, she had enjoyed England because hardly anyone knew who she was; that would all change once she set foot back in Andorra.

Fernando nodded his head, he smiled a little looking at his girlfriend wondering if he was truly prepared for what would happen when they arrived in Andorra.

They were heading straight for the capital and would return to Vanessa’s home, from there they would have a break and then go and see her father the following day when they had rested.

Vanessa leant forward and kissed Fernando, she was happy and she doubted that this could have worked out better for them; she wrapped her arms around his neck while they kissed.

“I love you,” Fernando murmured softly, he brushed his lips against his girlfriend’s wondering if he was prepared for what was to come; he was going to stay with Vanessa and he hoped that her family would like him.

Fernando didn’t know what to expect when they arrived but he was going to prove that he was right for Vanessa; he had plans for the future and he wanted to make sure that one day he would get to call Vanessa his wife.

Fernando wasn’t sure if Vanessa would ever carry his surname because she was going to be queen, he had done so much research and it had helped him prepare for what he would do next.

“I love you too,” Vanessa said smiling at Fernando, she was sure that her father would love her boyfriend and she was glad that she hadn’t fallen into the trap of courting any of the lords and such from around Europe.

Vanessa didn’t like the idea, so many of the royal families were related and she truly feared that she’d end up marrying one of her distant cousins before she had met Fernando.

Vanessa was the 49th cousin of Prince William and Prince Harry of England while she was the 36th cousin of Felipe VI of Spain; she had so many royal relatives that it was un-nerving and she was glad that she had followed in the path of choosing her own spouse.

***

Vanessa smoothed out her dress when she prepared to leave the private jet, she peeked at Fernando; she could see that he was nervous and she truly didn’t blame him.

“This is it… no going back,” Vanessa said softly while she watched her boyfriend, she didn’t know how people would react to Fernando but she hoped that it would be a good.

It had been a long time since the royal family of Andorra had hosted a wedding, the last had been the Duchess of Soldeu wedding to her husband.

Vanessa had been four years old when it had happened and she had been her aunt’s flower girl, she was sure that it would be expected of her and her siblings to marry soon.

“It’ll be okay,” Fernando said pressing a kiss to the top of Vanessa’s head, he was going to be at her side and he was sure that everything would be perfect.

Vanessa smiled at Fernando as her head of security popped his head into the private jet, it was time and they couldn’t put it off any longer; they had to leave the jet and they had to make their first appearance together in Andorra.

“Let’s do this,” Vanessa said carefully taking Fernando’s hand, she smiled at him hoping that this was going to be okay; she took a deep breath before they slowly moved to leave the plane so that they could leave.

Fernando took a deep breath as he prepared to step out with Vanessa, his life was going to change once he was seen with her and he was prepared for that; he just hoped that they would be accepted by her people.

The roar of the crowds greeted the couple as they stepped out of the plane, Vanessa smiled and gave an elegant wave before she started down the stairs.

Fernando was a little taken back at the crowds that had gathered together to welcome their crown princess home; there were 85,082 people in Andorra and it seemed like most of them had come to see this special occasion.

Fernando stayed close to his girlfriend, he knew that this would be splashed all over the papers before they had even arrived at her home and he was prepared for that.

Vanessa and their unborn baby was what mattered to him and he would think about everything else later on when things had calmed down. 

###

Author's Note: 

I'm using a fictional version of Andorra not the one between Spain and France.