Part One - Chapter Eight: Seeking a Blessing

“So you have a five year daughter with your ex-girlfriend?” George said when he was finally alone with Fernando, he had so many queries about the footballer and he wanted to make sure that he was going to look after the baby that he was having with Vanessa.

Fernando nodded his head, he wasn’t surprised that George knew that and he wasn’t ashamed to admit that he was Nora’s father.

“I see Nora a couple of times a week,” Fernando said remembering the agreement that that he had with Olalla, he had his daughter for three days a week and Nora loved spending time with him and Vanessa.

George nodded his head, he watched Fernando and sipped on his drink trying to work out how this was all going to work out; it wasn’t going to be an easy thing if Fernando and Vanessa split up.

“I know that you don’t trust me and you have no reason to… but I love your daughter more than anything,” Fernando said taking a deep breath, he had to try and win George around and prove to him that he was here to stay.

George raised an eyebrow at the footballer, he had a feeling that Fernando was going somewhere this and he had no idea why things seemed so difficult and he hoped that Fernando knew what he was doing.

“I would like your blessing to ask Vanessa to marry me,” Fernando said carefully, he had been wanting to do this for a while and was glad that he had put it off; he needed George’s permission if he wished to marry Vanessa.

George stared at Fernando, he hadn’t been expecting the footballer to ask him so soon after meeting; he cleared his throat wondering what had brought this on.

“I’m not asking because she’s having my baby… I’m asking because I want to spend the rest of my life with her,” Fernando said quietly, he wanted to make it clear why he was asking for George’s blessing; he wanted to do this right for Vanessa’s sake.

“You know what that would mean for you,” George said watching Fernando closely, he didn’t want to say yes only for Fernando not to be prepared for being married to someone who was going to be queen.

The two men were silent for a moment as Fernando looked at George, he knew that the man was asking and he had done a lot of thinking about this since Vanessa had told him that she was royalty.

“I do… I’m more than willing to do it for her,” Fernando said strongly, he would do anything for Vanessa and he was willing to leave behind his life as a footballer for her.

Fernando was sure that he could do more good being by Vanessa’s side than he could ever do as a footballer; he wanted to support her in everything that she did.

George eyed the man before him, he wasn’t sure what to make of the footballer but he knew that Vanessa would make a big deal about this and she seemed so happy.

“You have my blessing Fernando… I just hope that you know what you are letting yourself in for,” George said with a nod of his head, he was wary about Fernando and he had hoped that the Spaniard would prove him wrong.

Fernando took a deep breath and smiled a little at George, he now just had to find the courage to ask Vanessa to marry him; he had to make it special and he had an idea on what he was going to do.

***

Vanessa sighed in relief as she sat down in her living room and slipped off her shoes, she peeked at Fernando wondering what he and her father had talked about when they had been alone.

“That wasn’t so bad,” Fernando mused sitting down next to Vanessa, the palace had confirmed that he was dating Vanessa while they had been with her father and the media were having a field day now it had been confirmed.

Vanessa smiled and kissed Fernando, she was happy that her father had slowly gotten used to Fernando and the news that they were expecting their first child.

George and Elizabeth had both expressed their pleasure at having finally met Fernando and the news that Vanessa was expecting her first child with him.

“I love you,” Fernando said kissing Vanessa, he had no idea what would happen now but he was going to ask her to marry him; they would be staying in Andorra for a couple of days more anyway.

Vanessa smiled and rested her head against Fernando’s, she couldn’t believe that everything had worked out so well; she had a feeling that this would all work out fine.

“I love you too,” Vanessa whispered, she brushed her fingers through Fernando’s hair as she kissed him; she had no idea what she would have done if her father had kicked up a fuss.

***

“Papa misses you,” Fernando said talking to Nora on the phone, he laid back on the bed as he talked with his daughter; he wished that he could be there to tuck her in to bed and say goodnight.

Vanessa watched him with a sad smile, none of this had been easy for him since Olalla had remarried and it would only get harder when they had their own baby.

“I’ll be home soon Nora…” Fernando promised, he would need to speak with Olalla about what would happen next since he had to work out how this would all work out with Nora when he got engaged to Vanessa.

Fernando knew that sooner or later, the couple would have to move to Andorra one day and he would have to sort out Nora’s custody with Olalla; it wouldn’t be possible to have her three days a week when she was at school.

“I love you Nora… sweet dreams,” Fernando said sadly, he would have so much to discuss with Olalla and he hoped that his former girlfriend would be able to see that moving country wasn’t going to be easy for him.

Fernando truly didn’t know if he had a place in Chelsea the coming season and Mourinho had told Fernando that he was welcome to stay in Andorra for as long as he liked.

It made Fernando nervous and he had heard that they were seeking to loan him out for the final two years of his contract; he didn’t know where he would end up but there were rumours that he could be going to A.C Milan in a few weeks’ time.

Vanessa chewed on her lip looking at Fernando, she hated that he had no idea what was going to happen with his career, he’d had a rough couple of years and she worried about him all of the time.

“How’s Nora?” Vanessa asked thinking of the little girl that was an image of her mother, she got along with Olalla and nothing was going to be simple now that her identity had been revealed to the world.

Fernando closed his eyes, he set the phone down wishing that there was some way to make this all easier; he wanted more time with his daughter and that wasn’t going to happen.

“She’s good… missing us, but she’s doing okay,” Fernando said smiling, he would do anything to protect his daughter and had told Olalla that if the paparazzi became too much then he would pay out for security to protect them.

Fernando didn’t want his daughter being harassed and there was little that Vanessa could do to help since Nora wasn’t her daughter and wasn’t a royal.

Vanessa nodded her head, she wrapped her arms around Fernando sure that everything would work out just fine.