Part One - Epilogue: Long Live the King

Elizabeth stared out of the window of the palace, the crowds that had gathered to show their respects for their fallen King made her heartbreak; this shouldn’t have been happening and she wanted nothing more than to disappear.

Already word of George’s passing had spread around the world, other monarchs and people of power were reaching out to pay their respects to the family that had been shaken.

Elizabeth didn’t turn around as someone brought her a cup of coffee, she could barely speak to anyone as she grieved for the loss of her firstborn; George wasn’t coming back and it broke her heart.

“Your Majesty,” Anoushka whispered in greeting not wanting to upset the royal, she could only imagine what heartbreak Elizabeth was going through; she had been the King’s mother and now he was gone there was nothing that could be done to bring him back.

“They need to discuss the funeral arrangements with you,” Anoushka said trying to coax Elizabeth out of the room that she had shut herself in, her grandchildren needed her and Vanessa needed someone to go over the funeral arrangements with.

George’s body had already been moved from the hospital and entrusted to the royal funeral directors for preparation; there was so much to do and decisions needed to be made.

Elizabeth didn’t turn around, she couldn’t bring herself to care about funeral plans; she wasn’t meant to bury her son, no mother should have to do that.

“Your Majesty,” Anoushka tried again stepping closer to Elizabeth, she wished that there was something that she could do to help her but she knew that Elizabeth had every right to grieve for her loss.

Elizabeth closed her eyes, she wasn’t sure that she would be staying in Andorra after the funeral but she had already made a few decisions on her own future.

“Your Grace,” Elizabeth corrected intending to revert to the title that she had held before Arthur had become King, she wasn’t going to be the Queen Mother anymore.

***

Fernando wrapped his arms around Vanessa and held her close, it had only been a couple of hours since George had passed away and he knew that they had been hard on her; there had been no break.

Bojan babbled in his mother’s arms completely unaware that his grandfather had passed away, he was too young to understand what had happened while his parents had been gone.

“I’m sorry,” Fernando whispered holding Vanessa close, he wished that there was something more that he could say and he knew that the passing of her father was hurting her.

Vanessa closed her eyes, she couldn’t believe that her father had passed away and Fernando wished that there was some way that he could take away her pain.

“The funeral is on the 3rd,” Vanessa murmured clearing her throat, everything seemed to hurt and she was surprised that they had managed to pick a date for the funeral without much problem.

Fernando nodded pressing kiss to the top of Vanessa’s head, he had no idea what was going to happen in the next few weeks; it was going to take time to recover from what had happened.

Nora cuddled into Fernando’s side, he had gently broken the news to her of George’s passing and she hadn’t been in school today; the family had been at home since they had left the hospital.

Fernando had done his best to explain the situation to Nora, everything would change even more now and plans would start to be put in place for Vanessa’s coronation that would take place in 2016.

“Papa will we see Abuelo George again?” Nora asked quietly looking up at her father, she blinked up knowing that everyone was sad; she was only six years old and it was a little hard for her to wrap her head around the fact that George was dead.

Fernando closed his eyes, he wished that there was some easier way to explain all of this; it was going to be a rough couple of days.

People from around the world would want to pay their respects to the royal family during the time of loss and Vanessa was now the Queen; she had things that needed to be done.

“Maybe,” Fernando whispered in response looking to Vanessa, he would be by her side every step of the way; he wasn’t going to allow her to suffer in silence while she grieved for the loss of her father.

TO BE CONTINUED…

###

Author's Note: 

So this is the end of Part One... keep an eye out for Part Two.

Thanks to everyone that read, commented and rated this story so far, I couldn't have done it without any of you xxx